Tomatoe Horn worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carpe DiHen, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Ok, I thought I found they were bad. Enough of you have more experience than me so I retract my post. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They might be poisonous to reptiles, but they certainly arent to chickens. If they were, mine would have been dead years ago. They can't eat them fast enough. They play football with them, the funniest thing Ive ever seen. They grab it and RUUUUNNNNNN....till another one grabs it, gobbles it down.

Not poisonous.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

All my birds used to eat them with no ill effects.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    "Do not feed wild tomato or tobacco hornworms to reptiles. Tomato leaves and vines and tobacco leaves, which both species of worm feed on, are poisonous."

I'd want a more authoritative source than just an anonymous someone who answered a question on Yahoo, especially since they never mentioned chickens at all​

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    If thats the case, I got to call the news because I got dead chickens walking around squawking and laying eggs. My girls are disappointed this year only found about 4 hornworms this year.Great for my tomato plants [​IMG] not so great for the treat happy flock.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I tried to give my hens a tomato horn worm, and they looked at it, and then back at me with a look that said, "YOU WANT ME TO EAT WHAAAT?" They wouldn't touch it! I don't know why.....

[​IMG]

8. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:[​IMG] That is exactly what mine do, not a single one will touch them, they look at me like I’m crazy or something!

9. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Tomato Worms Chickens like them .But my Squirrel likes them most he just smiles with a Green gooy face...cva34

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Nope. Erroneous information. Not dangerous to chickens at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by