tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sarahz, Aug 23, 2007.

1. sarahz

sarahz New Egg

May 1, 2007
    Are tomatoes alright to give to chickens?--wondering the the high acidicy levels...

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I throw mine the wormy ones, and they love 'em. I've also given them pulp & skins from my sauce-making experiments. They don't eat it all, but they do eat a lot! And it hasn't hurt them so far...

What they don't eat, the squirrel fetches out of the compost pile later...

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I think tomatoes are my chickens favorite treat.. they get the ones left over from the garden.. they love them..

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My chickens get plenty of tomatoes!

5. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    My chickens LOVE tomatoes. However, between the chickens and the squirrels, I'm getting very few tomatoes here. [​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My chickens love tomatos, especially the cherry ones. Ever thrown your chickens a grape? They swallow them whole. It's hilarious.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine like to eat tomatoes. I am frantically trying to gaurd them this year so they dont break in and steal them. The short season tomatoes here aren't even turning yellow yet... At least 3 weeks before any are ripe... I am really hoping for some before frost hits. Every year at the tomato plant's prime... frost hits and they all rot. This has been a mild summer this year and thus not very many goods coming from plants that like warm weather. The darned 64 day corn is already been out for about 90 days and only started to silk two weeks ago... At least 2 more weeks before I will even bother checking them for kernels. Who ever said corn is ready to pick 3 weeks after silking must have been talking about some corn field in the mid west or something. Last year it was 6 weeks after silking before they were ready!

As usual though... 8 zucchini plants have yielded about 130 lbs of zucchini....

8. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chickens love tomatoes, with zucchini especially the large one’s that just seem to grow overnight my wife will steam them and the chicken just love them also.

9. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I have been purposefully letting some of the zucchini get big. A few tomatoes and a big zucchini gets the hens back in the run nicely at night!

10. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    we toss our 2 girls a cherry mater each and they "go nuts" each time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by