Tomorrow is the big day - first batch of Cornish Roo's heading to camp

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcf3kids, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I have to say that I am excited and nervous about the work involved with our processing day tomorrow of our first batch of Cornish. [​IMG] Our roos are about 8 lbs live weight [​IMG] and the hens are about 6 1/2 lbs [​IMG] so we are planning on processing the roos this weekend and the hens next weekend. We have a batch of 24 a bit heavier in roos. Hubby has four chickens he has processed so far and I have aided in the plucking side of it along with moral support ("good job honey" etc....) [​IMG]. Tomorrow I "plan" to "try"[​IMG] to do atleast one bird from start to finish with the aide of DH who is an avid sportsman - large game and small game hunter. I have never killed ANYTHING but I think that this process I am ok with. I have been inspired by other women on this board who have shown me just how they can "get 'er done!" lady style [​IMG]. Hoping that I can do it! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! get er dun! I did last year with 25 birds-it was not the prettiest thing but it was all done in one day with help from friends:) good luck!

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    You'll do fine.

I have to slow down my wife and kids, they can kill and start processing before the scalder is ready if I dont remind them to wait for me and the scalder LOL!

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I did it! You can too! It turns out to be a very rewarding process [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    You can definitely do it. Don't expect to love it or want chicken for supper the next day but it gets easier as you go along [​IMG]

6. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I did it - start to finish! [​IMG] I have to say it wasn't bad at all - these guys were raised for this purpose and I was totally fine with it. Thanks for the support! We processed 11 today at just shy of 7 weeks old and the dressed weights were all between 5 lbs and 5 1/2 lbs. Letting the other 13 go another 2 weeks and will see what kind of weights we have by then!! We have 11 hens and 2 roosters left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by