Tomorrow is the big day - first batch of Cornish Roo's heading to camp

mcf3kids

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
I have to say that I am excited and nervous about the work involved with our processing day tomorrow of our first batch of Cornish.
wee.gif
Our roos are about 8 lbs live weight
droolin.gif
and the hens are about 6 1/2 lbs
droolin.gif
so we are planning on processing the roos this weekend and the hens next weekend. We have a batch of 24 a bit heavier in roos. Hubby has four chickens he has processed so far and I have aided in the plucking side of it along with moral support ("good job honey" etc....)
bow.gif
. Tomorrow I "plan" to "try"
fl.gif
to do atleast one bird from start to finish with the aide of DH who is an avid sportsman - large game and small game hunter. I have never killed ANYTHING but I think that this process I am ok with. I have been inspired by other women on this board who have shown me just how they can "get 'er done!" lady style
thumbsup.gif
. Hoping that I can do it!
fl.gif

YOU CAN DO IT!!! get er dun! I did last year with 25 birds-it was not the prettiest thing but it was all done in one day with help from friends:) good luck!

I did it - start to finish!
woot.gif
I have to say it wasn't bad at all - these guys were raised for this purpose and I was totally fine with it. Thanks for the support! We processed 11 today at just shy of 7 weeks old and the dressed weights were all between 5 lbs and 5 1/2 lbs. Letting the other 13 go another 2 weeks and will see what kind of weights we have by then!! We have 11 hens and 2 roosters left.

Back
Top Bottom