Tomorrow's the big day....I think? What say you?

Clousic Chicks

Songster
5 Years
May 20, 2015
Spokane, Washington
Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well during our various stages of lockdown.

I need to know if I'm thinking correctly or off my rocker! LOL My two Australorp hens (2 years old) are currently in a large coop with nesting boxes. We have had four teenagers in a "mini coop" but they are 16 weeks this week and it's time to move them into the big coop where they can eat big girl food and get used to nesting boxes. They are also outgrowing the mini coop.

Here's my plan:

Today--we put the young ones in the big coop and left them in there for an hour or so. They ate, explored and then we opened the coop door so they could experience going down the coop ramp. They've been on the ramp before as both coops are inside our run.

Tomorrow--we plan to let the big girls out into the yard as usual, but then take the littles and put them in the big coop for a few hours. While they are in there, we will disassemble the mini coop so when they come out the coop will be gone. Our thought is out of sight, out of mind, as well as it will force them into the big coop tomorrow night.

What do you all think? What can I expect from my big hens? Anything? Blood bath--hoping not!? I plan on waking at dawn to let everyone out before they get too crazy. All six have been with each other now for a month when I took down the barrier between the two coops. They pretty much keep to themselves. My big mama "Pink" can be a bit of a brat but I'm hoping she'll just try to run the show without killing anyone. One of my young ones is almost the same size already as the australorps. (She's a midnight majesty maran.)

I welcome all suggestions! Thanks!

I haven't had any trouble with this sort of thing. They've been together in the run. They should be fine together in the coop as long as it's big enough for all of them. I just kicked a bunch of ugly dinosaur-stage chicks out of the baby/hospital tractor and into the big-kid tractor.

My big problem was catching them after dark (huddled up next to their old home--now housing a dozen chicks of assorted ages & one poult) and putting them one by one & two by two into the grown-up tractor. After the second night half went in of their own accord and the rest I chased in save two who had to be caught. Next night everyone was in but the two hold-outs. After that, all I've needed to do is close the door.

Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but the bigs don't hurt or bully them except at suppertime (and I have lots of dishes, so not a big problem.) When you're adding one group to another one, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hazing. It's way more dangerous (ime) adding one or two adults to, say, a dozen, than adding a dozen half-growns to 3-4 adults.

I haven't had any trouble with this sort of thing. They've been together in the run. They should be fine together in the coop as long as it's big enough for all of them. I just kicked a bunch of ugly dinosaur-stage chicks out of the baby/hospital tractor and into the big-kid tractor.

My big problem was catching them after dark (huddled up next to their old home--now housing a dozen chicks of assorted ages & one poult) and putting them one by one & two by two into the grown-up tractor. After the second night half went in of their own accord and the rest I chased in save two who had to be caught. Next night everyone was in but the two hold-outs. After that, all I've needed to do is close the door.

Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but the bigs don't hurt or bully them except at suppertime (and I have lots of dishes, so not a big problem.) When you're adding one group to another one, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hazing. It's way more dangerous (ime) adding one or two adults to, say, a dozen, than adding a dozen half-growns to 3-4 adults.

Thank you, Cindy! I'm content to see if they will go in the coop on their own tomorrow night. If not, then I will probably have to try and catch them the next night, get them in the coop, and let the big girls go in on their own. The are VERY safe to stay outside in the run for a night. I agree about food. Oh, boy...does my big mama get jealous! I give them treats separately and they all have had access to food (chick grower) in the run (I use PVC tubes my husband made) for the past two weeks. The chicks are thriving so I know they are getting their feed. Thank you again!

Thank you! I'm hoping they'll go in at their normal time. The littles usually are in their coop right now about 30 minutes before the big hens.
BEFORE?!? That's amazing! IME, the littles always stay up at least half an hour AFTER the older girls. We always say they like to party hearty, wanting to catch that last succulent bug and making us stay up past our bedtime to shut them in, those naughty girls! :lau

I always have to put them in at least for the first few nights in a new place, even if they've been going in there during the day. But definitely do give them time to go in of their own before doing that. They just may not understand they're to go into the big coop--even if theirs isn't available. They're pretty easy to catch in the near darkness, little sweeties.

I always have to put them in at least for the first few nights in a new place, even if they've been going in there during the day. But definitely do give them time to go in of their own before doing that. They just may not understand they're to go into the big coop--even if theirs isn't available. They're pretty easy to catch in the near darkness, little sweeties.

Thank you! This is all such good advice and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom