Tons of green tomatoes. What to do?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
It was predicted to get cold last night, so the wife picked all her tomatoes. I have like 40 lbs of green tomatoes about the size of cherry tomatoes.
Good lord, what shall I do with them?

If she's into canning, green tomatoes are excellent for increasing acidity to water bath canned food, like corn, so she doesn't have to pressure can because the acid in the green tomatoes would allow her to water bathe veggies like corn and beans just by adding a slice to each jar ;)

That or chutney lol :D

You can make relish from them. There is a recipe in the Ball canning book. If I can find that book I will post you the recipe. If not, go to the Ball web site and see if you can find it. Or try googling green tomato relish and see what you come up with.

I cannot imagine why you were told not to feed tomatoes to chickens. Chickens can and do eat most anything.

You can make relish from them.  There is a recipe in the Ball canning book.  If I can find that book I will post you the recipe.  If not, go to the Ball web site and see if you can find it.  Or try googling green tomato relish and see what you come up with.

I cannot imagine why you were told not to feed tomatoes to chickens.  Chickens can and do eat most anything.

Because tomatoes belong to the nightshade family; all green parts are indeed poisonous... But my chickens don't eat them green and I think most avoid them because they inherently KNOW that ;).... they wait until RIGHT BEFORE I pick them, nice and red lol :p

Edit to add* we cook them, removing the toxins etc.. Chickens can't cook lol :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom