Tons of missing feathers from vent and belly area - please see photos

John Sutter123

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hi all! This is my first post and I hope I'm doing things correctly. Please help me get these wonderful girls back to good health again; I love them dearly. Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide. John

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

- French Black Copper Marans, 9 months old, approx. 6 lbs. (We have two Marans: for this discussion, I’ll refer to them as Marans #1 & #2. Marans #1 is the main topic of discussion, but Marans #2 is missing even more belly feathers). Marans #1 used to be the biggest bird of the flock of 6 (all the same age). She definitely looks smaller now (last 30 days) but maybe the Wyandotte’s are simply outgrowing her.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?

-For the past 3 months, Marans #1 (or someone else) has been pulling feathers out from around the vent. I’m guessing fly-strike since I did not see any signs of mites or lice. Cleaned her up well with Epson salt bath and mild soap. Seemed ok for a month, then she (or another bird) started pulling out feathers way down below her vent and towards her belly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

-Approx. 3 months

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

- There is a second bird (Marans #2) shown in some of the photos: she has no vent or poop issues but missing even more belly feathers than Marans #1.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

-Exposed skin looks dry, tiny blood spots - pictures show this

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

-Just my guess: Fly-strike, lice, mites, other birds eating her feathers from lack of protein; but I’m really not sure. Marans #1 did have a prolapsed vent at 4 days old and almost died, but turned out to really thrive until the past 3 months- she's still laying 5-6 eggs/week. The Marans #2 with the missing belly feathers never had any prolapsed vent issues though.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

-Marans #1 has always had a ferocious appetite and really gets that crop bulging; though it does empty overnight. Normal eating and drinking at this time. “New Country Organics”, F50 layer feed, 17% crude protein. Extra protein from tuna over past 4 days.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

-Her poop seems unusually large sometimes; aside from that usually pretty firm and normal
looking. Past 1-2 months- lots of white stuff in it that runs down her butt feathers/bare skin.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

-Epson salt baths to soften the dried poop and allow for removal. Fly traps to keep the flys away.

-Diatomaceous Earth in dust bath and applied directly to vent and missing feather area – hoping to kill any possible fly larva or other parasites.

-The past 4 days, I have been feeding one can of tuna to the six birds. I read that a protein deficiency can cause feather plucking. On several occasions, I have seen one of the Orpingtons pulling leg feathers out of the Marans but not vent or belly feathers. With the 4 days of increased protein, today I still saw the Orpington grabbing some leg feathers (maybe habit).

-All six birds have always had fairly pale combs and waddles. Since day 4 of feeding tuna, it seems that some of the birds (including Maran #1) combs and waddles are noticeably more red.

-The feed used is “New Country Organics, F50 layer feed, 17% crude protein.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

-I’d prefer to do the treatment myself if possible

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

-Please see attached photos

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

-Coop bedding – pine shavings. Run bedding – Double ground log mulch & sand.

Attachments

• Marans #1 - After bath.JPG
    Marans #1 - After bath.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Marans #1 - Before bath 1.JPG
    Marans #1 - Before bath 1.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Marans #1 - Before bath 2.JPG
    Marans #1 - Before bath 2.JPG
    485 KB · Views: 21
  • Marans #1 - Vent close-up.JPG
    Marans #1 - Vent close-up.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Marans #2 - Vent Close-up .JPG
    Marans #2 - Vent Close-up .JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Marans #2 -Belly.JPG
    Marans #2 -Belly.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Marans #2 -Vent and belly.JPG
    Marans #2 -Vent and belly.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 33
It's not Vent Gleet unless it has a very foul odor and has a very messy/nasty looking mess on the rear end.

Your quote: "Past 1-2 months-lots of white stuff in it that runs down her butt feathers/bare skin."
if it meets the conditions in the first sentence I mentioned above, it's Vent Gleet.
Otherwise I suspect it's urates scalding the skin causing feather loss, redness, swelling and irritation.
You can put Nu-Stock on the affected areas and it will heal in time. It will also prevent any feather picking. You can find Nu-Stock in the Equine section at feed store. Shake the tube well before applying it to the skin and make sure you wear disposable gloves. Apply as needed until healed.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom