Too clean or not to clean

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckduckturkey, Jun 22, 2011.

1. duckduckturkey

duckduckturkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi,

I was given duck eggs. One source said not to clean the eggs, and another one said to. Which way do I go when incubating? If I clean them, I assume just water. Anything else?

Thanks!

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    if you clean them use warm water and a paper towel rub them only slightly good luck [​IMG]

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I've been washing mine in Brinsea egg wash - soak for 2 minutes in a solution of 1 teaspoon concentrate in 1 pint water between 105 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Do NOT rinse, unless they are extra dirty, in which case they should get a second soak in a fresh batch of solution.

Commercial hatcheries almost universally wash their eggs in disinfectant solution, and get excellent hatches.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I use dish soap an hot water. Not real picky about soak time but how ever long it takes to come clean wiping them with my hand. I do rinse under the running sink. The trick is to keep the water as hot as you can stand.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    duckduckturkey, [​IMG]

Some people wash their eggs. I don't wash the bloom off of the eggs I'm putting in the incubator. If they have excessive poop on them then I do take a scrubby and clean the poop off the best I can. I have had no problems with the eggs not hatching. Just the way I do it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. duckduckturkey

duckduckturkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Quote:Hot water? That surprises me. I assume that that is only once the eggs are room temperature, or more. (these were kept in cool storage 60 F) Which... how quickly should one warm them? I thought the heat lamp would be sufficent only to find that hubby, ever conservative, put lhose new low heat bulbs in them.

Thanks!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Some folks clean, some do not.

I wash and sanitize all of my hatching eggs. Many other folks do not. We all seem to achieve about the same hatch rates.

I like to wash and sanitize mine to minimize the microbial load I introduce into my incubator. I often do staggered hatches so it may run continuously for a couple of months or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by