Too cold for baby chicks to be outside with mama?

mamasky

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 4, 2013
I've got a broody hen currently sitting on 8 eggs that are due to hatch this upcoming weekend. Our weather finally started feeling more like fall and temps are now getting to the mid 40's at night, low 70's during the day.
I've got a separate coop all ready for mama and her babies but now I'm wondering if I should bring them inside and put them under a lamp. How cold is too cold to have the babies outside? This is all assuming my hen is a good mama and will do what she's supposed to. This is our first hatch.

Thanks in advance

If she is a good broody, then she will take care of all of their needs. Her body temp will be about 104, so as long as they sleep under her and they stop to warm up during the day, they should be fine! Have fun, hatching with a broody is the best.

As abserbean said, a good broody will do her job. If she is a first time Mama, just keep an eye on her for the first couple of days off the nest to make sure she is staying with them. She should stay on the nest for a couple of days after the first ones hatch. Once she leaves the nest with them she won't let them get too cold. Make sure they have easy access to water and food. She will protect the babies from the rest of the flock on her own. One good thing about broodies and cold weather is that the babies will feather out quickly! Good luck. A good broody is the best entertainment!

awesome! That's kind of what I figured she'd do but then I started to get worried and I'd hate to have something happen.
I'm excited to have some new little chickies running around! I grew up on a farm and we just always seemed to have baby chicks or hens sitting on eggs but they weren't really "pets" like the chickens I have now so I never really knew how it all goes down. We used to hatch eggs in an incubator and that's about as much as I knew.

I know this post is a couple months old, but i have 3 week old chicks that have been going outside with mama for a solid week now and all is well, except that we are expecting temperatures t go from the low 60's to the low 30's during the daytime in the next day or so.i don't think i can keep them contained again now that they have been free...is it ok to have them outside with mama during such cold daytime temps? they are mostly feathers now, but still some down . any tips or advice would be greatly :) appreciated

I know this post is a couple months old, but i have 3 week old chicks that have been going outside with mama for a solid week now and all is well, except that we are expecting temperatures t go from the low 60's to the low 30's during the daytime in the next day or so.i don't think i can keep them contained again now that they have been free...is it ok to have them outside with mama during such cold daytime temps? they are mostly feathers now, but still some down . any tips or advice would be greatly
smile.png
appreciated
Hey carriemacf,
I am in the same situation. Had a hen hatch out some chicks a week ago…..was not planning on it. Sneaky little thing was good in hiding her nest. They are 9 days old and today was the first day that I let them out of their separate little compartment in the coop. Mommy hen did great leading them out down the ramp and got them safe back inside. BUT tomorrows high will be in the 30's and I am worried. She is a excellent mom and there are only 3 chicks, so plenty of room to stay warm but still…… I am worried.

Hope we will get some tips!

I know this post is a couple months old, but i have 3 week old chicks that have been going outside with mama for a solid week now and all is well, except that we are expecting temperatures t go from the low 60's to the low 30's during the daytime in the next day or so.i don't think i can keep them contained again now that they have been free...is it ok to have them outside with mama during such cold daytime temps? they are mostly feathers now, but still some down . any tips or advice would be greatly
smile.png
appreciated
I have some that are close to the same age. They should be fine, they will be tucked up snug under Mom tonight. My chickens won't go outside of the coop much tomorrow, even with the door wide open (I guess no one told my Brahmas they were cold hardy chickens)! If you have a wind blocked area to roam they will do there normal pecking around there. My run is fairly windy, but I have ample coop space for all to be comfortable.

My main advice is to be sure they have plenty to eat to avoid bickering, and also to help them generate heat to stay warm. I toss out scrach in the hay and hang up goodies to keep them active.
Hey carriemacf,
I am in the same situation. Had a hen hatch out some chicks a week ago…..was not planning on it. Sneaky little thing was good in hiding her nest. They are 9 days old and today was the first day that I let them out of their separate little compartment in the coop. Mommy hen did great leading them out down the ramp and got them safe back inside. BUT tomorrows high will be in the 30's and I am worried. She is a excellent mom and there are only 3 chicks, so plenty of room to stay warm but still…… I am worried.

Hope we will get some tips!
If she is doing her job thus far, she should be fine. At 9 days they may still have area of fluff. Just watch to make sure she is letting them huddle up to her if they are shivering or such.

Back
Top Bottom