Too cold for my chickens?

aly

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Is there something that we should do to keep the chickens warmer when it gets cold? should we keep a heat lamp on? apply insulation? any advice is helpful
smile.png

thanks

smile.png
It was 13F this morning here, and I have 12 week old babies outside with no extra heat. Granted, there's about 25 of them and they can huddle for warmth, but they're fine. Slowly acclimate them to the colder temps, and they will grow feathers to insulate.

What is the coldest your area of Connecticut gets in the winter?

Last edited:
So many new chicken owners fret about cold weather when it's actually hot weather in summer that's more of a threat to chickens. Chickens come with their own down jackets, after all.

Most chicken breeds can handle even a very cold winter quite well if they have a dry, draft free but adequately ventilated shelter.

Quote:
Exactly--in 25 yrs of caring for chickens in an area where we get a lot of snow and below zero temperatures my biggest problem has been frozen waterers and frozen eggs. The birds have been fine with no heat other than to the waterer. They are kept in an insulated and well vented coop.

Same conditions here but my coop is uninsulated...but very well vented. I haven't yet seen it get "too cold for chickens" here in the mountains. I have noticed that I no longer get any frostbit combs since using the deep litter method in my coop.

i live in eastern ct and it can get pretty cold here. sometimes as cold as 17f.

but we have twelve pretty big chickens, so from what you guys have told me they should be fine, right? i was just curious, we have never had chickens before. i really appreciate the input
smile.png

thank you guys!

Quote:
17 degrees above freezing? That's not cold, hon, just a mite nippy.
lol.png
Your chooks will be just fine in a ventilated, non-drafty shelter.

Quote:
17 degrees above freezing? That's not cold, hon, just a mite nippy.
lol.png
Your chooks will be just fine in a ventilated, non-drafty shelter.

yuckyuck.gif

I have birds that willingly sleep outside at 0F.
smile.png
Don't coddle them, and they will be fine.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom