too cold?

totally agree :) Berta has been my favourite from the start, she is fairly quiet and does her own thing, and although she is ends up at the bottom in the water games, she seems to be the one who dares go on ice and often leads the others into new areas of the garden, totally interesting all, I love them.

its the weird Icelandic Celsius. -10° in Iceland is 14°F, so probably not toooo bad. The thing was, that Berta got really wet in the water which I had filled the tub with (after taking the ice out) and then, in the -10 °C she got icecrystals on all her feathers and bigger icycles for 2 days that didnt melt even when inside the greenhouse. But she is ok. NOw that I am reducing the nightly water it will also get drier inside. Always learning new stuff :) ducks ARE tough
I know the Celsius scale better than Fahrenheit! I was born and raised in Germany and now live in the only country in the world that still uses the unit system imposed on them by their former colonial power…
So Iceland, i thought you just have to dig down there a meter or so to have access to molten lava for heating purpose? 😜
We rarely have temperatures around -10°, maybe one or two nights in January and here i am more worried about my duckies getting a heat-stroke in summer. They are still wearing their down-jackets even at 40°!

who knows, I just know that Berta is my lovely Peking duck that everyone else in the girls flock sits on in the water :)
So she is like my Blanca Duck, a White Layer, similar breed to Pekin ducks but much lighter. Unfortunate Blanca is subject to the "advances" of all the drakes due to the unusual warm weather we currently have. So the Young Runners are heating up the drakes, then run away and poor Blanca can't find a safe spot.

Glad to hear Berta is okay. All I meant by "every flock has its Berta, is that there's always ONE bird who gets herself into a little more trouble or requires a little more care than the rest. And, for the record, I've always loved those birds the most!
So your Berta is the equivalent to my Limpy Drake. I always have one eye on him and am sneaking some some extra catfood to him when he's alone in the pool.

I know the Celsius scale better than Fahrenheit! I was born and raised in Germany and now live in the only country in the world that still uses the unit system imposed on them by their former colonial power…
So Iceland, i thought you just have to dig down there a meter or so to have access to molten lava for heating purpose? 😜
We rarely have temperatures around -10°, maybe one or two nights in January and here i am more worried about my duckies getting a heat-stroke in summer. They are still wearing their down-jackets even at 40°!
haha- yes weird systems, I never quite understad Farenheit...
I believe lava floats around underneath here quite a bit and we are awaiting several vulcano eruptions but that can happen tomorrow or after 1000 years... :)
Average temps here re actually not all that bad, around - 1°C in January I read somewhere which is much the same as in the North of Germany (where I am also from :)... but these figures are from a while ago maybe now its changed...
What makes it more difficult here is the wind and snowstorms, havent had any of those yet this winter. Its Bertas and her flock's first winter ----
We dont have the worries of heat strokes for ducks (!), temps during summer here are around pleasant 16 degrees and up over 20 on special days, but often as low as 13 during the day (and much less during night).

You're German too? - I live in the US since 2007, but never got used to inches, pounds, gallons and Fahrenheits. I don't understand why people here are doing that to themselves.
I heart about the vicious snowstorms in Iceland, what brought you there?

So she is like my Blanca Duck, a White Layer, similar breed to Pekin ducks but much lighter. Unfortunate Blanca is subject to the "advances" of all the drakes due to the unusual warm weather we currently have. So the Young Runners are heating up the drakes, then run away and poor Blanca can't find a safe spot.
sounds just about right...
I am glad that I dont have a drake!!

hahaha! maybe one shouldnt laugh, there is quite a bit of agression going on, poor Blanca, Bianca

Back
Top Bottom