Too cold?

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
I have 9 chicks they are 2 weeks old. This past week has been pretty warm with lower wind speeds, so I have taken them outside for 30min to an hour, sometimes longer, unless they are cold. They are getting more active and I want them to be used to the outdoor weather because I want to start introducing them to my current 6chicken flock. (Through bars first)
Should I take them out today (59 degrees, no sun) with a heat source or just leave them in? Thank you!!

Chicks who are raised by a hen go out in temperatures colder than that. However since they aren’t yet feathered in you can bring a heat source with you if you want but they probably don’t need it.

Last edited:
Take them outside, no heat source, and bring them in when they get cold.

You might need to bring them in sooner than on warmer days, but a few minutes at that temperature will not hurt them at that age.
I agree. Take them out and observe them. Bring them in when they act cold. The idea is to acclimate them to colder temperatures. You do that by introducing them to colder temperatures.

I agree. Take them out and observe them. Bring them in when they act cold. The idea is to acclimate them to colder temperatures. You do that by introducing them to colder temperatures.
We just came back in, I took them without the lamp and brought them back when they were huddling and shrilly cheeping. One of them never seems to get cold she is always wandering 10feet off, giving me miniature heart attacks🤣

Welcome to chick TV. It's usually better than anything on satellite, antenna, or cable. You never know what they will do. How long were you out?

Have you ever been in a room where some people are cold, some hot, and some think the temperature is just right? Just like different people prefer different temperatures some chicks like different temperatures. That's the way a poultry science professor answered somebody that asked what is the right temperature for chicks. It depends on the chick.

Welcome to chick TV. It's usually better than anything on satellite, antenna, or cable. You never know what they will do. How long were you out?

Have you ever been in a room where some people are cold, some hot, and some think the temperature is just right? Just like different people prefer different temperatures some chicks like different temperatures. That's the way a poultry science professor answered somebody that asked what is the right temperature for chicks. It depends on the chick.
We were out for about 15 minutes.
That is super interesting!! I did not know that!

Back
Top Bottom