Too Cute!

mustangruss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Garrard County, Kentucky
I peeked in the window of the coop this morning to see one of my chicks jumping up and grabbing ahold of the cardboard box with her beak and dangling her feet. As if I wasnt already totally in love with chickens this really did me in.
big_smile.png

How cute! I remember my chicks first "outing". we were all at dinner and one of the RIR's squacked loudly and jumped up to the top and then outta the box. I looked at my fiance and he said "time to build a coop".

Yes they are jumping all over now so I am thinking its about time to introduce them to the run for a little while tommorrow. They are almost three weeks old and getting their feathers in pretty good now. To think that the chickens used to be my DW's.
lol.png

Until they get their feathers, only take them outside during the day if the weather is warm enough for them. Mine are 6 weeks old now and are fine outside all the time. We have other issues.....

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Its not too bad during the day right now(about 80 degrees). I am trying to introduce one of my hens to them right now. I have one hen that is very motherly and hope that when they get a little older she can help them out a little. I hope it works.
big_smile.png

:cdTo catch you all up on this.....This chicks were a little hesitant at first about going out into the run but some of them don't like going back in when play time is over. So far we have only been letting them out a few hours during the daytime. Only one of our hens is taking up with them so far so I guess it will be a while before they all get aquainted.

I took my week and a half chicks outside today for their first time. I took the brooder out and it fits perfectly with the tractor. They didn't want to go out of the brooder. Finally One went out but went right back in and it was awhile before any did it again. They did it several times. I have a tray in the brooder with pine shavings in it that they love to lay in. I took it out of the brooder and put it in the tractor. They looked lost, like "where did our tray go?". It was so comical. Finally one discovered where the tray went and went right for it into the tractor, then another, then another and so on. Finally they were all out in the tractor in their tray. FUNNY!!! They did venture out of the tray and do some exploring, but they love that tray. Maybe that is why I never had any problems with the big girls laying outside of their nest boxes. The do each have their own personalities. The new chicks are susposed to be all pullets. I wish I had taken some pictures.
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Here is a picture of them when they were 3 days old.

trip07-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom