Too dumb to come out of the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatGold, May 12, 2011.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Not being sure if this section is about "chicken behaviors" AND "egg laying" or if it's about "chicken behaviors while egg laying," I'm taking a chance and posting here :p

So, for the first time since my chickens have matured, I think, we are getting some serious rain. We have been in a terrible drought since they were chicks (any my heart goes out to the people in the mid-west who are suffering so badly from floods).

Anyhow, it's raining cats and dogs and most of my chickens (about 5 layers and all 4 pullets) are just standing there in the rain sopping wet.

What's up with that? Chickens hate water. Are chickens just that, how shall I say it politely, dumb?

Don't get me wrong, I love the chicks. I was just surprised by their behavior.

Maybe they're just digging it. Who knows?

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I adore my chickens, but I don't think they're entirely bright. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they're dumb as rocks.

Mine do go under their hen house when it rains though. Unless I come out with treats, then they're perfectly happy to go out in the rain.

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    My chickens have shown some intelligence and go under the coop when it's raining, but some of them just don't mind the rain. They run around pecking at the worms coming to the surface (although they refuse to eat them and generally don't like them) and drinking rain water. Just like some chickens don't mind snow, some don't mind the rain it seems (and being that they flock together, others sometimes just suck it up and pretend they like the rain, lol!)

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our chickens actually enjoy the rain. I've seen them out scratching around while it was sprinkling or raining lightly, but not during a downpour. Some just like it - they don't necessarily hate it, but some do go running at the first drop while others hang out during the storm.

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't know why people say chickens hate water..this is not true. We lived near Fair Oaks village and there are hundreds of free range chickens there...we always saw them in the rain. They bathed in it, played in it, ignored it. Nothing like a good rain to really clean a chicken!

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Chickens are generally pretty dumb, but they know when they don't like something. If they don't want to be in the rain, they won't be. I open my coop and let mine decide if they want to come out, whether it's raining, snowing, whatever. No reason they shouldn't be in the rain as long as they are healthy adults and it's not a flood or something.

7. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Oh I know this well. I've seen my chickens out in the rain during a thunderstorm.

8. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    I was wondering the same thing you were i guess my flock really likes rain too even during downpours. one time i had to catch each chicken and put them inside because the storm was so bad, i guess chickens are just silly cute animals:D

9. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Allegan, MI
    Having not mastered coop construction yet, most wild birds live in areas with rain and have to deal with it unsheltered. I'd say the chickens are welcome to make they're own choice. [​IMG]

10. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Mine are literally 10 feet from the opening of the coop hiding under my stairs and it's like a hurricane out there. Little worried that it will get dark before it stops raining and they'll be stuck under there, not safe from predators, not wanting to move.... C'mon you knuckleheads!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by