Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Can I ask... what is this lining you all are using in your incubators for lockdown and where can I get some?

I also have a huge amount of respect at your impressive candling skills! I got the wub ed n flashlight which is "woah" level bright... love it! But try as I might, all I'm seeing is my own backlit hand... nothing beyond the area nearest the air sac in the thick shelled eggs. Should i make a little platform for the egg?

I think the lining you're asking about is the no skid shelf liner. It has a rubbery texture to it and holes through it. Comes in rolls like these.

IMG_20200222_231525981.jpg

I haven't made a platform for candling, I just use my hand, but a lot of people make different little stands and flashlight wraps to make it easier for them.

Hatch is over. I ended up with 6 little ones from my shipped silkie eggs. I already mentioned one quit but another didn't make it either. It seemed like it was behind and never really drew down. I eggtopsied today when I saw the blood vessels had receded. It was in the right postion (other than the head was above the wing). I'm not really sure exactly why it didn't make it but I did notice the yolk was kind of stuck to the membrane and part of the yolk sac seemed to be looping around the leg so I'm sure that didn't help.

Here are pictures of the little cuties who did hatch. :D

GCHF chicks.jpg

GCHF babies 4.jpg

GCHF chicks 3.jpg

I managed to get hatching pics of one of the little ones zipping. The little one finished the zip up on a heating pad.

Hatching progression.png

One of the little ones hatched with only 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other but look how tiny that little 5th toe is, it's just barely attached! I thought it was kind of interesting, I haven't seen this before so thought I'd share.

tiny 5th toe.jpg

Oh also I know it's a little late but wanted to say Happy Birthday CluckNDoodle! Hopefully I got that right, I was pretty sure you mentioned it was on the 22nd. :)

One of the little ones hatched with only 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other but look how tiny that little 5th toe is, it's just barely attached! I thought it was kind of interesting, I haven't seen this before so thought I'd share.

View attachment 2033555

We have had that before with the guinea pigs, if it was hanging by a thread we would snip the extra toe off with nail clippers so it doesn't get caught and pulled off when they are running around. Depends how attached the toe is.

Well today was day 21 for me and I have nothing, no peeps, no movement so I guess iam done, with my 1st attempt at hatching(big bust). I am collecting eggs this week to try again with a 50/50 chance of fertilized eggs.
Congratulations to everyone that had successful hatches they are so cute
I would wait if its only day 21 you may just have some late hatchers.

I get it at the dollar store its shelf liner
You can see I cut it to shape and prefer to use the holy rubber kind.
I have s small flashlight that is very bright. A Dark space helps, I use one that is similar in size to the egg so that I can use my fingers to close the gap in between the egg and the flashlight. Takes a little practice but works well
Do you reuse the shelf liner (wash and reuse or do you use a different one for each hatch. I'm currently using recyclable paper towels and then they go into the compost with the egg shells from the incubator.

Remind me again what you have in there?
Currently I have babies that hatched on the 13th 18th and the 22nd on the camera. I have a batch of 3 eggs to go in on the 26th to the hatcher which are from my personal flock. (Choc mottled orp rooster over blue, splash and lavender hens) Then I have a batch of 23 (fingers crossed it's 28 go to in on the 2nd of March that are BBS Orp eggs from Brickhouse Poultry.

Back
Top Bottom