Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
I want to play too!!
I am picking up 10 wheaten Sulmtaler and 20 white Sulmtaler hatching eggs on Saturday. As well as 15 Bielefelder as well as adding approx. 25 wheaten Sulmtaler eggs from my own chickens. So about 70 eggs in total going in the incubator on Sunday! First hatch ever! OMG!! I can't wait!!!!

Wow so many eggs, sounds exciting! I've never heard of sulmtalers before, they seem interesting, their little crests look very cute. Good luck on your first hatch! :D

Eggs in tonight. All from my kids but boy was cruising on Ebay and may have to add more as we go lol. Thinking I'm going to date the eggs and just run a secondary hatcher all spring summer this year so I can add eggs and hatch all season lol.

Added 15 eggs to start all collected this last week some are a little small but most are normal Orpington size. Hoping they didn't get to cold. I only kept eggs collected in the morning off of advice I got and only kept them if it was a day that wasn't too cold so hopefully they would still be good. Might be able to get some more this weekend since the temps will be above 40 again.

This will be the 4th or 5th year I have hatched in a Hovabator and I usually get between 30 and 50% with shipped eggs and closer to 100% with my personal eggs.

I took duck eggs from a person who found them last year (all muscovy) and had 4 hatch out of 7 losing one shortly after I think due to the stress of the hatch.

But the ducks weren't in great condition that laid the eggs and I think the eggs were just there in the yard not incubated for a while. She found them and saved them for me when I came to pick up a duck for my niece. So you are completely right when you say even local eggs can be a gamble.

I am more apt to go with a shipped seller that I know and trust like Carolina Rare Chicks or Green Bryre. If I know the eggs are going to be packed well and the chickens are well treated that's 1/2 the battle. Then I only have to deal with the postal service and the weather lol.

I will attach a few pictures of my set up. Hatcher isn't set up yet since I am just starting hatching for the year. But I have tubes in the corner of the incubator to add water without removing the cover. I also like the upright turners as they tend to give me better hatches. You can remove the rails and set them on the floor out of the frame during hatch too or use an egg carton with the bottoms cut out which eliminates the need for worrying about drowning when they pip even if they have saddle shaped aircells since all fluid goes down no where near their head.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_174216725.jpg
    IMG_20200122_174216725.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200122_174224601.jpg
    IMG_20200122_174224601.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 2
On day 12 for the first batch. On day 5 or 6 for the second. So far went from 60 to 54 eggs. But was fully expected to drop. Some infertile and a couple died at a few days. Other than that, everything looks good! There are about 4 in question, but they’re too dark to see what’s going on in the shl

There is one out of the entire bunch that has a huge air cell. This was a gifted comet bantam cross, well see if it makes it. Can’t adjust humidity for just one egg :p

390EC06F-0B20-446E-9189-F1845F3CFEFE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom