Too excited to sleep! Have a couple questions...

WasabiChicki

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Northern California
My first batch of hatchery ordered chicks will be here in about a week...
I stole the kids' wading pool, got a car battery from the salvage yard & will be attempting to hook up my old solar panel to a small inverter we've had sitting around forever in order to have light for the babies.
Off grid chicken brooder! (Everything is off grid up here lol)

But, I am sooooo nervous: I have only raised a small flock (7 to start, 4 left) in the last 3 years... now I'm going to have 30 chickens?!

**WILL A MEDIUM SIZED PLASTIC WADING POOL BE ENOUGH ROOM FOR APPROX. 30 DAY OLD CHICKS, & IF SO, FOR HOW LONG??** We haven't even begun construction on the new coop. I have a run for my other girls that I can close off & makeshift a straw & ply wood coop if needed. Does it bother them to be moved around a couple times before settling into their permanent home?

Also, I hear a lot of talk about using newspaper or towels for the first couple days instead of sawdust... how many days do I need to do that & why?

I'm really excited! Even if it means giving up all the camping trips & weekend concerts this summer to milk goats & raise chicks...

I'd appreciate any feed back, suggestions, tips or tricks ya'll might have about my first batch of mail ordered day old chicks! Thanks in advance
jumpy.gif

I'll post some pics tomorrow...
I haven't had any problems w/ preditors: my two dogs keep everything safe around here & are on guard 20 feet from the coop. The hens have always free ranged w/ the dogs so I know they aren't an issue & the coop itself is only about 25 feet from my bedroom window. I would hear if anything were to approach the run.

That is temporary though: the new coop & run, that isn't being built fast enough, will be a good 100 feet or more from the house & on the opposite side from my room. I'm hoping it will be a little quieter over there w/ 30+ birds about to move in! My husband is not excited at all about having roosters again.... trying to move the coop as far away as possible for noise control, without putting the flock in danger.

*I've seem ppl put lattice or chicken wire around the wading pool to make higher sides... I'm just not sure that size will work for that many birds..?

Last edited:
It sounds like your best bet is to build a temporary coop for them. Something that can be closed up for warmth with the heat lamp. They will need to be kept very warm until they get their feathers. Have you been to the learning center to read up on raising baby chicks? It's very informative! It really helped me with my first chicks this year. I was afraid to try raising chicks, because I had never done it before, but this wonderful site helped me through it, and I'm sure it will help you too.
Try to get some sleep now......
hugs.gif

I am soooo behind on the coop & new run!
(And now awake on BYC past my bedtime again lol) *CHeck out my LICE thread in emergencies PLEASE!
No pics yet... will probably post them in the Where am I/ where are you forum.
Thanks for your help
smile.png

Wasabi, I am in No Ca also, Lake County. You anywhere near me? I have gotten new chicks in the past 1 1/2 months and have learned alot. Mine are 12 Silverlaced Wyandottes, 3 Buff orpingtons and an assortment of banties.

As stated the pool will be OK for awhile, just make sure they won't be in a draft. Don't use newspaper as bedding. It is too slippery. Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup

Babies are here!
McMurray texted me that they shipped two hours after I picked them up @ the post office.... The email from the hatchery 2 days ago said they would be hatching a day late because of the holiday (that would have made today the hatch day). Good thing I staid home! I'll post pics tomorrow!
Now I'm too excited/nervous to sleep lol.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom