Too Fat?? *pic heavy*

Quote:
*snorts & giggles* I am reminded of his fluffyness every morning as he drags his EMPTY food dish across the floor & attempts to trip me on the basement stairs if I dare ignore the empty dish moving across the room!

lau.gif

I
love.gif
your fluffy chickens, I hope when mine are that age, they are just as fluffy. Don't ya think about 50% of all that fluff is feathers?
wink.png

That is why I got the breeds I got, I want big fluffy chickens. My favorite time of day is when the breeze kicks up & the back of their skirts fly up. It reminds me of the part in Mary Poppins when the wind blows all the nannies holding their umbrellas up into the air.
lol.png

The older chickens in the first picture are all heavy breeds. They are supposed to be...well, heavy. For almost 19 weeks, they look just right to me. They look beautiful and healthy. My Australorps are the same age and about the same size. Even their "treats" are healthy. Organic greens (spinach, brassicas and comfrey) and veggies and all the bugs and worms they can eat while foraging, organic, soy-free feed and even organic scratch, so my girls at the same size would have no reason to be fat. A diet that contains high amounts of corn and other carbohydrates might make them fat, especially if they are kept penned up, but a chicken that is fed quality feed and high protein treats like meal worms and are allowed out to exercise will not get fat. I would just ignore the jealous farmer.

cool.png
I also love whent he breeze kicks up at their backside feathers flip up, that is so darn cute. I am new to this, and when I was around chickens before, I didn't spend so much time looking at them (silly me). Does that fluff at their backside ever go away? Our Light Brahma cockerals are 14 weeks old and theirs is so fluffy, it is so cute, I could just grab it, but I resist. For real though, does it stay around?

Quote:
roll.png
Buddha's belly has nothing on our cat! lol But I did have to cut some of that fluff off a week or so ago because erm his belly gets in the way of his catly type cleaning abilities & all he can reach is the roll under his chin & his toes.
lau.gif
He just sort of tips over when he tries to reach anything else, sooooo much to his dismay, I took the clippers to him. I'm still waiting for his reatlliation
hide.gif

Quote:
I feed them pretty much the same way
smile.png
I'm waiting for the day that they realize all they have to do is hop a 3 foot fence to get into the garden for all those yummy greens I magically make appear. So far they're happy to just mill about the perimeter
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom