Too fat reason for not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QChickieMama, Dec 3, 2013.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    My hens are almost all quite plump, especially the barred rocks--they're enormous, and they're not laying. Out of 14 laying hens, I'm getting maybe 1 egg/day.

So, today, one poor hen had a run-in with a dog, so I butchered her. She did not have ANY egg production going on internally, just a huge glob of fat on her low belly. All else looked just like the rooster I've butchered in the past.

So, not laying because she's fat?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    This tends to be a problem with Brahmas too. When you are wanting them to lay eggs you must feed them to lay eggs. Give your birds layer feed and only layer feed to kill off all the unnecessary fat. They should begin laying once they drop some weight. What do you feed them now? Mine get a 17% layer feed but once hatching season is over they will get a 20%. They also will get some 'bulking agents' like BOSS to help get them plump like your ladies.

3. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
  4. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I was giving them only layer feed for MOST of their lives. Then a bit of wild game bird feed to boost protein. THen when they quit laying, I gave them a bunch of scratch. I just had some to use up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by