Too frequently laying incomplete eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tmartyp, Apr 11, 2017.

1. tmartyp

tmartyp New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    I have a 6 month old Rhode Island Red that started laying big, gorgeous dark brown eggs when she turned 5 months old. In her first week laying, she later 5-6 perfect eggs...But since then she's laying an egg with a paper thin shell about every 15-20 hours. Sometimes the egg is broken in her nest too. What's going on with her? If she does lay a hard shell egg, 1 out of 3, it's got a rough surface, is a really light beige color and is small. I only have one other hen that is older but they co-worker habitats peacefully. Please advise. Thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would start putting out free choice oyster shell or egg shells for her

3. tmartyp

tmartyp New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Bobbi-j...I already do that, every day they get both with their "salad" greens.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hens need free choice oyster shell,in a separate bowl....:)

Also if feeding veggies daily? Your diluting the layer feed...;)......If you try balancing the diet to more Chicken feed and oyster shell, you will see a difference in the eggs...If giving spinach to the chickens?....It stops the absorption of calcium ....Hens need calcium to produce good eggs..Spinach is good for people..not Hens...

Best of luck...:)

Cheers!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Curious @tmartyp what all and how exactly are you feeding?

First time I've heard that one <scratcheshead> any details on that?

6. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    I'm really too new and inexperienced to offer much advice, but I was struck that you said the hen was laying an egg every 15-20 hours.

I know enough to know that isn't normal. Was it a typo or something? I thought for most breeds every 26 hours was a good little clip.

Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised that the hen's system was unable to produce enough calcium for a full shell.

7. cabincreations

cabincreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Sometimes it can be a vitamin D issue. Do your birds get a lot of sunshine or are they kept inside 24/7? I have a flock of RIR's here that were doing that and I added a Vitamin D3 tablet to their drinking water for a week. It stopped the partial and thin eggshell issue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by