Too hot for chickens in Florida?

colettegh

Hatching
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I'm concerned, they do appear to "pant". Out of 5 chickens I usually get 2 eggs a day, yesterday 0; where a couple months ago it was 4 - 5 daily. Any suggestions for relief from the heat? Would they enjoy a small pool?

I'm seeing a lot of southern folk are using a misting attachment for garden hose in the run. Of course shade for run and coop and people in Texas freeze partially filled gallon jugs and place in coop for air conditioning.

Edit: I said partially filled as if full can split the gallon jug when frozen. Then you'd have soggy bedding as they thawed.

Last edited:
You could get one of those hard plastic pools there around 20 bucks at Walmart. I usually add ice to their water when refilling. I give mine cold cucumbers & watermelon. Mine stay under my deck most of the day. I'm ready for winter already this heat is miserable. Chickens do better in cold weather that's for sure.

When filling their waterer fill it with ice cold water and even add ice! Offer them cool and refreshing snacks that are cold such as cucumbers,watermelon & cantelope, etc... helps keep them hyderated.

yeah , it's Hot in Florida right now. My birds have almost halted egg makin. They just hang in the Oak Hammock ,drink tons of water and limit their movement till the latter part of the day. Yours are doing what's normal.Panting is normal.Make sure they have some kind of shade,maybe one of those 14 dollar box fans from Home Depot too.

Melon split into quarters, misting during the heat of the day, pans of water as well as their waters for drinking. We have the black cement mixing pans for wading pools. Box fans are $14 at walmart and home depot right now too. If your run is in the open cover it with shade cloth. We use all of the above and haven't skipped a beat with egg production.

Mine won't voluntarily get into water. Mud puddle, however, they love. I wet several areas of dirt and they mud bathe. They free range and have shade somewhere in the yard at all tiimes.

I did have one hen last weekend that appeared to be getting heat exhaustion when the heat index was 110. Audible panting, glassy eyed look. I took her into the pool with me. Cooled off her belly and put some water around her head and neck. She's been fine since.

I'm still getting 5-6 eggs per day from my 6 hens despite the heat.

Well in SC it is hot...90's most days now.
I use juice bottles...frozen with water.
The chickens will take turns standing on them...or lay next to them.
I also freeze water in cool whip containers.
I will add that to a bowl of water they stand on the edge of and drink from.
Of course they have shade and fans blowing on them.
Can you say spoiled chickens?

Even with all that they still are hot and sit pretty still in the middle of the day...
and eggs have dropped off a little bit.

I live in Central Florida and yes it was hot. In the low 100's there for a while. Girls were not laying as much, but since we started getting the afternoon showers which is normal for this time of year. They have been giving me more. Yesterday I got 17 out of 40 and today 26 out of 40. I have about 12-14 hens that are about 2.5 years old so I know they have slowed down some on laying. I don't see them in the coop as much. We have two coops and both are in the shade and have shade cloth over their open runs. We have a fox that likes to hang out at our place so I can't leave them run free over the property.
smile.png

I live in S. Florida, and it gets VERY hot here. I've not had any problems so far, and I've had my girls for 4 years now. I keep lots of water buckets and bowls outside for them, also a kiddie pool for my duck and goose, although, they don't use that
big_smile.png
. I've found my little bantams standing in the water bowls, which I figure, is to cool off their feet. Also, there are lots of bushes and stuff for them to go under as well.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom