Too hot for meat birds??

SpringChickens

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Lexington, KY
How hot is too hot? I would like to get some Cornish X for the freezer soon, but I'm worried they would all drop dead because of the high temps. We're having temps in the high 90s and low 100s recently, typical texas summer.

Should I hold off until fall?

Last edited:
I am no expert, but if I were you, I would wait. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in California and we often get temperatures above 100 degrees. I got my first batch of meaties to arrive in late Sept after the worst of the heat was passed, and we got the second batch in Feb so we could get them processed before the hot days arrived. The meaties don't need much of an excuse to keel over, and I don't think they handle heat as well as other chickens. I raised my meaties in a box stall in the barn. If I had a pen for them outside in the shade with lots of ventilation I might try them in the summer. Maybe.

If I were you, I'd wait. They would be miserable all summer in the heat, and you'd probably lose a bunch of them. The good news is that in Texas, you can probably raise them all winter!

What everyone else said. Once they hit about 6 weeks, the heat really seems to affect them adversely, and before that, it's the cold and wet that you need to worry about.

I'm not real familiar with Texas weather, but you could probably start a batch of chicks in late July or early August, and then when they hit about 6 weeks, temps shouldn't be quite so hot.

I've been wondering about this too- I have 25 meaties scheduled to arrive around June 22... so they'd be six weeks old in early August, when it will be in the upper 80s during the day. Is that too hot for them?

Quote:
Well, it's not as bad as raising them in Texas would be, but as a general rule, they handle cold much better. I raised my birds in the Michigan summer last year- we get upper 80's quite often, but I lost several. Personally, I wouldn't go as far as cancelling the shipment, but just pay attention to how overheated they seem, and if you lose any, then correct for it next year if need be.

I just got 12 meaties. I keep mine in the garage but our heat has not been to bad either. We have had major June gloom. I can use a fan if I need to but I won't put them outside because I know the heat gets to them.

Spring Chickens,

It is just too hot right now. Try in late September or early October. In the spring order them as early in February as Ideal has them for sale. That way you can finish them up before the end of April or early May. We did that the past 2 years and they did real well. The heat really takes a toll on them and they don't grow as well and just keel over. I actually think doing them in the fall is better as the temps go from hot to cooler just when the chicks need it to.

Back
Top Bottom