too late in the season for pullets to start laying?

Curlita

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Seattle, WA
I live in Seattle and we are already down to about 10.5 hours of daylight a day, temperatures still mild. I have two hens laying and have seen a VERY slight decline -- 4-5 eggs a week isntead of 6-7 per hen.

I'm wondering if there is any hope for the other two. My Ancona laid three eggs the week of September 22.... and nothing since then! I'm wondering if I will have to wait until spring for her to start laying again.

The other one is an Australorp and she hasn't started laying yet. She will be 24 weeks tomorrow. Her sister started laying at 19 weeks.
barnie.gif
I'm starting to think I might need to wait until spring for eggs from her, as well!

I know I can put light in the coop to speed things along, but 1) I'm lazy and 2) I'd rather they lay longer during their lifetime than a lot of eggs now and none later.

Lots depend on the breed and feed, my white rock and RI Red pullet just started laying. They should lay thru the winter.

I've got them on Layena, with supplemental oyster shell, the occasional cracked corn, and free-ranging four days out of seven. I'm pretty confident about their nutrition, but if I'm missing anything, feel free to let me know. They have plenty of water, too.

I haven't quite given up on LuAnn, but my son has been threatening to fire her.

I am in Michigan, but we get about the same length of sunlight. I fin that even with the cold temps that I have new girls laying every week. There is still a chance she could start laying!

Quote:
That's when my silkies were born, toward the end of June. Then I have pullets I got from MPC in the middle of July. I have no light in my coop because it's only a few feet from my house and I am terrified of fire.

I am thinking I am going to have to wait until Spring.

Back
Top Bottom