too late to help I guess...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    ""I came home last night after being away for 4 days (had friend checking on girls) and today when my husband let them out one of our americauna girls was very quiet. once I got home a few hours later I found her very unresponsive laying in some bushes. She was cold and still. She does not even open her eyes. She is about 5-6 months old. I have her inside warming. She is almost like she is still sleeping.. breathing steady. Last week she was running and playing. A 6 month RIR was off last weekend, but seemed better over weekend. Today I found her in the corner of the coop. Easily picked up and sleepy. I have her inside too. Trying to force her to eat some yogurt and eggs and drink some water. Please someone help... I have had such a hard time with my chicken raising... have already had 11 deaths since started in May!!!! I just don't understand.""

I posted this a few hours ago under Please help..2 chickens doing poorly. Well they have both died. The Americauna never woke up, the RIR died in my arms. She seized and died shortly after. Looking at me to the end. I have no idea what happened. She got progressively weak through the night. Leg weakened. I will do a necropsy tomorrow and see what I can find out. This makes 13 since May. Many with similar symptoms. feeling rather helpless. 17 chickens left in the coop. 2 boys and 15 girls. Sigh.

2. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many of your chickens die. It sounds like a necropsy would be helpful.
    Sorry for your loss.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Will be waiting to find out to,I have had two die in tow weeks

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear about your ill hens. It's hard to help figure out what might be wrong without more information. It might be helpful if you look at the sticky at the top of the E/D/IC section and post the answers to those questions and maybe someone will know how to help. I hope you find some answers!

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wonder if its some kind of parasite or nutritional problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by