Too late to start molting?

doughouse

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
Hi,
I have four hens who are going through their first molt this fall (and my first molt as a chicken owner, too). Two molted in the late summer, and two just started. My question: do I need to worry that the two late molters seem to have waited for the cold snaps and 30-degree nights of Boston Novembers to start molting? Is there anything I need to keep in mind to help them through a cold weather molt?

Hi,
I have four hens who are going through their first molt this fall (and my first molt as a chicken owner, too). Two molted in the late summer, and two just started. My question: do I need to worry that the two late molters seem to have waited for the cold snaps and 30-degree nights of Boston Novembers to start molting? Is there anything I need to keep in mind to help them through a cold weather molt?
Hmmm. I would make sure they don’t get wet, and maybe if their combs and skin feel freezing, you could put them in their coop? I would watch out for wet things, and really windy days.

Make sure you have wind breaks or sheltered areas available in the run, as cold winds and rains will not feel good on their sensitive skin, and they'll be looking to shelter somewhere.

When it's not rainy or windy or snowing my mostly naked, cranky pincushion runs around with everyone else, but the second she feels wind or precipitation she'll take cover.

Last edited:
I'm blaming the weird weather this year. About a third of my hens are molting right now -- much later than usual.

During warm months, I scoop poop daily; now, I am using deep litter in the coops to help keep them warm. I am also offering some mealworm treats in the coops where the molting girls live so they get more protein to help them grow feathers.

I ordered some clear, heavy duty tarps from Amazon so I can offer everyone -- but especially my molting girls -- some outdoor protection over their runs. Those will be going up this week since temps here are predicting below freezing.

Good luck with your girls!

Back
Top Bottom