1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Too Many birds for my Brooder" Dilemma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swampducks, Aug 21, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I've got 27 chicks and 11 keets in the garage brooder. They are about 3.5 weeks old.

In the house I've got the "replacement keets" for the ones that died in shipping. I've got 21 that are 2 weeks old in a TV box (wish I'd bought a bigger TV now!) and 17 one week old ones (the extra extras for the ones who died in the second batch) in another set of boxes taped together.

The 2 weekers are now throwing themselves against the side of the box. I've given them some weeds to play with which helped but I simply cannot think of anywhere else to put them! Not unless I can make the garage brooder BIGGER and put 'em all in there together. They are simply too small to put with my 6 birds in the coop. Those guys are 3 months old. The little guys would get squishsed.

Dang, dang, dang, how did I get into this mess!??! [​IMG] I'm mostly venting, I know I just need bigger brooders. Maybe my husband can think of something.. oh yeah, that's right, he'll probably suggest eating the 6 big birds and then stick 'em all in the coop! :|

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Maybe a big plastic tub with a mechanic's light over it? That's what I did with my babies.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    LOL [​IMG] , I have 3 brooders because I didn't plan well, well actually cuz I'm a hatchaholic and can't stop [​IMG]
    My biggest brooder is my old dog whelping pen (used once, and she only had one pup, so it's new), my next one is an x-lg dog kennel (wire type) and my third one is a rubbermaid tote that dh fashioned a lid(to keep kids and cats out) for. I am rotating today cuz I have 1 day olds that need out of the hatcher, I also have another batch that started pipping, so hopefully I can put them with the now day olds. Talk about crazy. I feel your pain [​IMG]

Krista

edited to say my point was you can make one out of just about anything [​IMG] I have also heard about people getting the empty watermelon boxes from the store

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    If you have the room..... get more boxes and tape them together to make a large area.

We used a 6' round kiddie wading pool for our brooder in our laundry/mud room. We surrounded the pool with 18" high cardboard wall and then a 4' high chicken wire fence. I had to put a "gate" in the fence so I could access the pool for cleaning and feed and water. But it worked and none of the little darlings flew out.... though our White Face Black Spanish pullet sure did try. [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I can't relate... I actually had 4 potential brooders planned out with all but the smallest being about twice as big as I planned on needing. So far I've only got 2 half full.

I dunno what your using in the garage but the kiddie pool would have been my suggestion. It's about the biggest premade thing you can get. Another would be to just use brooder rings but they have no bottom. Just a strip of cardboard or cheap wood in a circle.

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard someone used their bathtub in a spare bathroom.. I thought it was a great last minute idea or in times of need. So far the only idea I have that I haven't used is to net in the underneath of the dining room table! LOL [​IMG] seemed like a good idea in a time of need.

But seriously.. 3.5 week olds? Why not put them in the coop?

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:Because of the six 3 MONTH old chickens and guineas. They already beat up on each other, don't want to give them little targets as well.

However, DH came to my rescue today and more than doubled my brooder in the garage using 2 old scree doors and warped table top. The netting I wasn't using in my garden this year was just the right size for over the top.

Now the original 38 and the new 21 keets are all together. Most, however, seem to be hiding in the old wooden box in the corner. Too much space too soon, I guess.

[​IMG]

another view:

[​IMG]

He also stuck an old wooden pallet in there for the smallest ones to hide from the bigger birds if necessary. So far, no one is attacking anyone.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Go to walmart and ask for a watermelon box. It's huge and it's tall and it's thick! I have used mine over and over. Be sure to ask for the cover too so you can use it as a bottom. The best thing..it's FREE [​IMG] better try now while they are still getting the huge boxes.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

BTW...those watermelon boxes fold up flat for storage [​IMG] And transport

10. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Ughhh... I get your frustration, my girls are all 5 weeks old, and unfortunately we are behind on the coop renovation, so they're still in their 4x4x2 brooder, all 15 of them! ... I have to get the sheathing up on the coop, and the foundation fixed, plus new windows and door before they can go out there... it's DRIVING ME CRAZY because they don't want to be in the brooder at night. They go outside during the day in a 10x10 pen, but I can't keep them out there all night due to the predators.

AGHHHHHHH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by