Too many changes to feed

hansolo

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Fremont, CA
I recently made too many changes:
-switched from starter/grower to layer PELLET, also non-soy based (birds started laying)
-introduced whole grain feed (it is pretty complete but not complete complete so I used as scratch only)

I noticed a few things with bird behavior
-they dun eat nearly as much feed
-they used to go crazy over scratch such as millet now they still prefer over feed but dun go nuts
-they spent a whole lot of time eating grass and other greens, which were available to them before as well

What happened? They've been laying normal so far and have free choice oyster shells.
I am not sure if they started liking grass/greens more because of their age (6-7 month old pullets) or they are forced to because I messed up with their feed.

smile.png
I have switched from starter/grower to layer with no problem. My chicks, when allowed to free range, eat everything and just about anything they can reach. But as far as them not eating their new layer feed. They really didn't have any problem with that, they just saw it as something new to eat and love eating it too!!.
I would think that they are eating the grass because they want to. It probably has nothing to do with your feed change.

I am not sure if they started liking grass/greens more because of their age (6-7 month old pullets) or they are forced to because I messed up with their feed

They aren't wasting as much with the pellets, and there are more bugs now than earlier in the year.

Don't overthink it.

They are just chickens, and it's just feed.

If they are healthy and productive, why worry if you're doing it "right"?

Relax and enjoy them​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom