Too many cockerels

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
I have about 13 straight run bantams (Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas) mixed in with my soon to be 23 bantam flock, they are around 6 weeks. There is testosterone flowing like crazy and it is very obvious (I think) who is male. Assuming those are cockerals, is it better to make decisions now or later (to keep or not)? I am assuming attitudes will change. I am a first time cockeral owner.

Roosters have a reproductive only purpose with my program. You don't need one unless you plan on producing a larger flock. Too many Roos with your ladies will stress the girls. And even injure them.
Personally I have well over a dozen Roos but My set up allows me to control and contain them. They are LOUD.
1 will start and the rest will start crowing.. A real loud crow fest.
If you do not need a roo, it is easy to place a classified ad and rehome him.:)

I have about 13 straight run bantams (Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas) mixed in with my soon to be 23 bantam flock, they are around 6 weeks. There is testosterone flowing like crazy and it is very obvious (I think) who is male. Assuming those are cockerals, is it better to make decisions now or later (to keep or not)? I am assuming attitudes will change. I am a first time cockeral owner.
6 weeks is nothing as far as testosterone flow,
that doesn't really happen until 3 months or so.
Make sure your chicks have lots of space,
crowding can make nay chicken crabby ad aggressive.

When to 'make decisions' depends on your goals.
I only need one male to regenerate my layer flock of about 15.
The extra cockerels go to freezer camp by 16 weeks,
just before the testosterone really flows.

I am not an expert with chickens by all means, but just going by my experience with my bantams,. I have free ranges on a lot of land so probably makes a difference in my situation here, but I have 17 chooks, 4 off them are Roo's and they all have found their place. Their was banter in the beginning, but all has settled down, they all have their fave girls and all get on really well. I guess if you have room and they can all move about they will get on well in the end. I constantly have people tell me their are too many Roo's ( I personally think it depends on the nature also) and that they will fight. But this doesn't happen and they are all over a year old, and if anything they all work together especially if there is trouble predictors or the ladies are in trouble, to the point where I am shocked at the team work they do do. But again I am no expert and have free rangers

If your pen situation has limited space, it may be a good idea to separate the cockerels into a bachelor pad. Allow them to mature and further evaluate their personalities. Eliminate birds because of traits unacceptable to you. For me the first cut would be any that exhibited human aggression. Good luck in sorting through the lot.

First, have a plan; what are your goals? Breeding which bloodlines? Then, spend time watching the boys as they grow. Bad behavior and obvious physical faults are sure cull points! Then, keep a few, or at least two or three, and see how things are in spring. That's only if you actually have two or three that make the cut! Mary

Back
Top Bottom