Too many cockerels

Gina Willis

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Elliston, Virginia
Hello from Virginia! Anyone need a full-blooded Golden-laced cockerel? He is 13 weeks old. I have too many young (3) roosters for 14 pullets. I bought my chicks from Murray-McMurray Hatchery in June. He is healthy and vaccinated for Marek's disease and coccidiosis. I am planning on keeping my Buff Orpington and Buff Brahma cockerels. I can't eat him because I raised him. He is not super friendly but not aggressive either. I live in Elliston, near Roanoke.

Haha, I have 6 roos and 13 hens...obviously not the best situation. I just love my roos. So far all get along. My hens are not harassed too much, but I think it is because they are large fowl and all of the roos are bantam except for one. I guess time will tell.

Haha, I have 6 roos and 13 hens...obviously not the best situation. I just love my roos. So far all get along. My hens are not harassed too much, but I think it is because they are large fowl and all of the roos are bantam except for one. I guess time will tell.
Wow. Maybe I should just wait a bit and see. The GLW cockerel picks on everybody. I can't wait for him to try that on me! It won't go so well for him.

I had a mean silver laced wyandotte once, large fowl, he was finally butchered because I was afraid I would lose an eye. I have a columbian wyandotte bantam roo now, and he is mild mannered so far, two conchin bantam roos, one polish bantam roo, one large fowl silkie roo all free ranging with large fowl hens. They are all really docile. The silkie is alpha, followed by the polish. Both tolerate the other breeding the hens. I have never seen the other boys breed the hens. My second flock is fenced with japanese roo and large fowl and bantam hens. He is roo aggressive and goes for blood when his is combined with the other roos so he gets his own harem...so technically I guess they do not ALL get along. His name is Tiny. He is so small I can pick him up with one hand. Go figure he is the aggressor haha! All were raised together with exception of an easter egger hen.

Where in Franklin County are you located? We actually live close to Salem, in the Elliston/Shawsville area. If you want to come look him over, a weekend would be better since my husband will need to catch him. If you decide to take him, you’ll need a carrier of some sort. You can PM me on Messenger. I’m Regina Harrington Willis.

Back
Top Bottom