too many cocks in the flock...

Should I keep the old cock, the young cock, or both?

• Keep the seasoned Rooster

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Keep the young Rooster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep them both

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

riddleluvsrotties

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
At Home
I didn't feel right about posting in the buy sell trade section just yet, as I'm still on the fence. You see, we got two chicks this year, and after a few bumps in the road they are doing beautifully. The bad news is... I can see a distinct comb forming on the head of our "ressurection chick" Which is a problem because we have three mature hens and three mature cocks, and now we're looking at another pair... I prefer to have two or three hens per rooster, to help prevent fighting.

So far our roosters are managing to keep the peace, they do pick on one in particular but it's never gotten too serious. I really don't want that many males, and I haven't decided if I want to find a new home for our mature male that's getting picked on, or our little guy who's inside and would be too small to stand up to the others like the big guy. They're both good birds. I could see the hens go and not miss them, they're pretty mean, but the eggs are worth it. The hens are the kind of birds I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and if I ever have issues with the cornish/silkie crosses, I'll save myself a lot of trouble and possible lawsuits... And just fry them up for dinner.

I'm a little heart broken, I like my roosters, but I really want to have more hens. I'm looking for advice, on what I should do. Should I keep the chick? Keep the seasoned Silkie? Or both? When I figure out which way to go, and IF it involves removing a rooster, would I get in trouble if I offered him on the buy sell trade section? Either bird (young or old) would be free to good home. I have pets, not show quality champions. I don't really want money, I just want to do what's best for the birds.

Thank you both, I hadn't thought about a bachelor pen. We tried letting our 'semi-bullied roo' out free range, since he enjoys playing with our dogs so much, but when it came time to roost, he didn't like our set-up. we had a cozy nester hanging on the outside of our coop, near the hens nest box. I'm clearly a moron, because it never occured to me to try setting the other two roos loose and leaving the one inside with the hens. (how could I be so stupid??) They're flock birds, of course he wouldn't want to be alone. I'll give it a shot, see how the other two cocks do out in the yard and hope that that does the trick. I'm thinking when the weather picks up I'll buy some hens. I really prefer having more hens than roosters. I've been lucky all these years, never having faced any real fighting, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My biggest fear is that I'll walk in to check on the two chicks, and the other one will have formed a comb...

Aaaawwww. You're not a moron
smile.png
We all have 'duh' moments. I've got a 10x10 bachelor pen for my Silkie boys, & a 10x10 bachelor pen for my 3 LF Cochin boys. They make the "found food" noise, feed each other and hang out together and snuggle up at night. Every so often there's a bit of squawking but it only last a few seconds. I love my boys and there's no reason I have to give them up. Good luck with your boys.

Back
Top Bottom