Too Many Drakes...Rehoming/Trading/Help!!!

lklascala

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone. I currently have 10 Indian Runners and 4 mallards. I am concerned about my drake to female ratio (11 drakes to 3 females). I am pretty sure the mallards are going to fly away since they were rescued as babies and seem to be their own little squad. However, the runners are a different story. I have 7 males to 2 females. Long story short, I'd like to rehome/swap 3 - 6 of my males. If anyone is in the NJ/Philadelphia area that would like to rehome/trade for females, I would greatly appreciate it for the sake of my females. BTW, I know some people are going to say to get rid of my females and have an all bachelor group, but I truly can't. They were the only two survivors of my first hatch who started it all. They are too close to my heart to give away. If anyone knows another solution (other than culling or creating a drake pen because they all free roam) I would also greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you, everyone!!

Welcome to BYC!
I hope you find the perfect home for the drakes. You might make a craiglist ad with something like "bachelor flock for sale" and rehome them together. If you cannot find a home, maybe you would consider letting them free range, while keeping your females and one male penned. Then you could switch out so that the trio gets range time too.
Good luck!

857760BA-1B98-4E5E-A424-CE2F9E5710EB.jpeg

Hi everyone. I currently have 10 Indian Runners and 4 mallards. I am concerned about my drake to female ratio (11 drakes to 3 females). I am pretty sure the mallards are going to fly away since they were rescued as babies and seem to be their own little squad. However, the runners are a different story. I have 7 males to 2 females. Long story short, I'd like to rehome/swap 3 - 6 of my males. If anyone is in the NJ/Philadelphia area that would like to rehome/trade for females, I would greatly appreciate it for the sake of my females. BTW, I know some people are going to say to get rid of my females and have an all bachelor group, but I truly can't. They were the only two survivors of my first hatch who started it all. They are too close to my heart to give away. If anyone knows another solution (other than culling or creating a drake pen because they all free roam) I would also greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you, everyone!!
We are in the same position and now facing winter with 15 Drakes I have been unable to rehome. I had a wonderful offer from someone to take them all but other issues in our life made it impossible to drive the 3.5 hours and that opportunity has passed. It‘s keeping me up at night. Our coop for them was built for ducklings and csn‘t be used below freezing. Our yard may become unhealthy with so many ducks. It is now all mud. We have an adult flock of 8 females and 4 males. We are just outside Philadelphia. Were you able to find homes for your drakes?

Back
Top Bottom