Too many ducks in a small pen

DUCKSREALLY

Hatching
Jul 17, 2019
Hi everyone DUCKS REALLY here needing advice and education on ducks please before I call to the authorities, which i ordinarily would not do however dont judge me until you've heard why I feel intervention is in order for this situation.
Ok so my husband and I moved to a small rural community . We have a half acre of property, the neighbor next door has her duck and chicken pen that butts up to us and we live downwind, #1 they smell very bad, #2 they live in a small pen all 20 of them. #3 the males are extremely aggressive all the females have no feathers left from the top of thier poor little heads all the way down to thier shoulder blades. I never in a million years would have put my next two words to associate them to ducks. Gang.rape. yes you heard me right one male will forcibly hold a female down and bite her head and neck while 3 or 4 males wait for their turn at her. Its the most cruel outrageous thing i have ever seen and I'm 60 and seen alot in my day. But rape is rape and these bastards have made a habit of this not once in a while, but many times a day. And night.
The owner comes out and puts food out for them maybe 2 times a week. The females are so filthy is so sad. Not to mention 3 of the females are so young they barely have any feathers and are very skinny and run around the pen all huddled together hoping its not them to be violated and tortured next. Again as i said it is the saddest thing to have to hear and watch. Thier poor heads are bleeding all the time and belive me all the females get the same treatment no matter thier age. The youngest lay egg the size of pea's
For which when the rooster gets out he goes and pecks the eggs into oblivion.
Someone please tell me this is not normal behavior for ducks.
The stupid rooster is either dyslexic or no one ever told him what time he should be wake the street but his alarm goes off 4 times in a 24 hr period. Once at 3am again at 6am again at noon and 4pm for which set off another rape session. Please someone give me some rational advice. My veiw of ducks is they should be swimming in a pond or lake getting fed popcorn by children and old alike, not gang raped and tortured on a daily basis. Wrong is wrong and this is wrong on so many levels. Thanks for listening.

Hi everyone DUCKS REALLY here needing advice and education on ducks please before I call to the authorities, which i ordinarily would not do however dont judge me until you've heard why I feel intervention is in order for this situation.
Ok so my husband and I moved to a small rural community . We have a half acre of property, the neighbor next door has her duck and chicken pen that butts up to us and we live downwind, #1 they smell very bad, #2 they live in a small pen all 20 of them. #3 the males are extremely aggressive all the females have no feathers left from the top of thier poor little heads all the way down to thier shoulder blades. I never in a million years would have put my next two words to associate them to ducks. Gang.rape. yes you heard me right one male will forcibly hold a female down and bite her head and neck while 3 or 4 males wait for their turn at her. Its the most cruel outrageous thing i have ever seen and I'm 60 and seen alot in my day. But rape is rape and these bastards have made a habit of this not once in a while, but many times a day. And night.
The owner comes out and puts food out for them maybe 2 times a week. The females are so filthy is so sad. Not to mention 3 of the females are so young they barely have any feathers and are very skinny and run around the pen all huddled together hoping its not them to be violated and tortured next. Again as i said it is the saddest thing to have to hear and watch. Thier poor heads are bleeding all the time and belive me all the females get the same treatment no matter thier age. The youngest lay egg the size of pea's
For which when the rooster gets out he goes and pecks the eggs into oblivion.
Someone please tell me this is not normal behavior for ducks.
The stupid rooster is either dyslexic or no one ever told him what time he should be wake the street but his alarm goes off 4 times in a 24 hr period. Once at 3am again at 6am again at noon and 4pm for which set off another rape session. Please someone give me some rational advice. My veiw of ducks is they should be swimming in a pond or lake getting fed popcorn by children and old alike, not gang raped and tortured on a daily basis. Wrong is wrong and this is wrong on so many levels. Thanks for listening.
I would say intervention is need of some sort. Can you try talking to the neighbor? Perhaps you can convince them to enlarge their pen and remove some of the drakes. If you call the authorities, just be prepared for them to call on you the moment they find a reason to. I used to have bad neighbors. It's not a fun situation to be in. Ours neglected their dogs, didn't properly raise their children to be respectful and had a rat infestation in their yard. We did end up calling authorities a few times actually. They became part of the reason we moved as well - we just couldn't put up with them any more.

You're in for the long haul.

I would indeed be calling your local and regional animal organizations.
It will be up to those organizations whether or not these people deserve education and second chances or pure removal of animals based on intentional cruelty.

I do make a lot of mistakes with my animal husbandry. I'm always learning, often the hard way. However, I'm also consistently researching, observing, and adapting. It doesn't take an idiot to figure out a few basics that are amiss in a given situation. My animals feed and water sometimes runs out during the day (and OMG, the duck pond, doesn't matter how much it's dumped and filled), but if my neighbors are watching, they'll also see me remedying the situation fast enough that no animals suffer. I get the picture that this isn't the case for you.

Please intervene for these ducks that can’t help themselves. Yes it is normal for drake to rape and abuse but we try and convince members to make sure they have the right ratio of drake to female and rehome or eat if their ratio is way out of whack. The poor females will suffer as you see daily. Do you think talking to your neighbors would help? Doesn’t sound like they care much for these birds and it does sound like animal cruelty.

I want to thank all of you for your advice and edification on the male ducks i did not know they were called drakes it should be changed to dicks but thats only my personal opinion But seriously thank all of you for the support i needed that. From the stupid rooster who cant tell time and of courseDUCKSREALLY.

Yes, please do intervene. Call the authorities. Call your animal control officer. Call your local government regarding the smell and any sort of zoning violations - if your community has zoning laws.

I can tell you from my experience with animal rescue is that your neighbors will not give a crap about what you say to them regarding the welfare of those ducks and chickens. They've likely been keeping those poor critters in those conditions for as long as they had them and long before you moved in. They'll probably try to convince you it's fine and/or tell you it's none of your business.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom