Too many eggs laid?

Joanne85

Chirping
Jul 31, 2021
Ireland
Hi Everyone,

So I have 3 hens and 1 rooster who are now 6 months old, we had 3 eggs yesterday and 4 this morning. This is the second time to happen! I’m confused as pretty sure they can only lay one egg? We’re all looking at the rooster 🤪 Ideas? Could it be down to one being slightly bullied at all??
Update: we just got another egg 😳 I spoke to vet and she said it’s rare but sometimes they do and was pretty surprised 🤣
Update: Another egg!! Each hen has laid 2 today!! If there’s anymore I’m outta here cos they are little aliens👽 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 97A500C2-3530-4B02-BBB8-19E93D00CF7B.jpeg
    97A500C2-3530-4B02-BBB8-19E93D00CF7B.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 7FA22FDD-BC16-4074-98A4-4FE8B74B642F.jpeg
    7FA22FDD-BC16-4074-98A4-4FE8B74B642F.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ECD3BE01-1559-4304-AD09-B2665858FF96.jpeg
    ECD3BE01-1559-4304-AD09-B2665858FF96.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BAFDFAA2-7270-4665-A12B-9279707360B8.jpeg
    BAFDFAA2-7270-4665-A12B-9279707360B8.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 02BCE13F-F9FD-452F-BBE1-10E3E92CE746.jpeg
    02BCE13F-F9FD-452F-BBE1-10E3E92CE746.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9C7F72A0-0D40-450D-9652-6E2438F94F4B.jpeg
    9C7F72A0-0D40-450D-9652-6E2438F94F4B.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I've had it happen a couple of times, but I agree with your vet that it's a pretty uncommon event.

Love the photos! Your rooster looks a lot like my Billy Boy -- a Cochin Bantam roo who chases all the big girls around and cowers from my fierce Cochin Bantam hen, Sally. She runs his fluffy butt all over the place.

I've had it happen a couple of times, but I agree with your vet that it's a pretty uncommon event.

Love the photos! Your rooster looks a lot like my Billy Boy -- a Cochin Bantam roo who chases all the big girls around and cowers from my fierce Cochin Bantam hen, Sally. She runs his fluffy butt all over the place.
🤣🤣 we have a wild one Cindy who tells him… he runs to us for Cover 🙈 our little brown one gets picked on by cindy also ☹️

That type of thing isn't as unusual as you'd think. If a hen releases two yolks at the same time you can get a double yolked egg. If she releases two yolks the same day but spread apart a bit she can lay two eggs that same day. This can happen to any hen at any time but some are more prone to it. It's more common when a pullet is just starting to lay or when it is a really old hen. The commercial egg laying hybrids are more prone to this than the regular dual purpose or decorative birds, especially of you feed them a rich diet.

When a hen lays two different eggs in the same day the second egg may be thin-shelled or soft-shelled. Many hens make a set amount or shell material a day. If most of that is used on her first egg she might not have enough material for the second one.

If two eggs are in the shell gland at the same time the eggs can be scarred. Both misshapen eggs and flat-sided eggs in the Egg Quality Handbook talk about double ovulation.

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

The internal egg making process is pretty complicated, it's not that unusual for a hen to have an oops. That's no big deal to me as long as it is kind of rare, I think we are all entitled to an oops occasionally. Just don't make a habit out of it.

That type of thing isn't as unusual as you'd think. If a hen releases two yolks at the same time you can get a double yolked egg. If she releases two yolks the same day but spread apart a bit she can lay two eggs that same day. This can happen to any hen at any time but some are more prone to it. It's more common when a pullet is just starting to lay or when it is a really old hen. The commercial egg laying hybrids are more prone to this than the regular dual purpose or decorative birds, especially of you feed them a rich diet.

When a hen lays two different eggs in the same day the second egg may be thin-shelled or soft-shelled. Many hens make a set amount or shell material a day. If most of that is used on her first egg she might not have enough material for the second one.

If two eggs are in the shell gland at the same time the eggs can be scarred. Both misshapen eggs and flat-sided eggs in the Egg Quality Handbook talk about double ovulation.

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

The internal egg making process is pretty complicated, it's not that unusual for a hen to have an oops. That's no big deal to me as long as it is kind of rare, I think we are all entitled to an oops occasionally. Just don't make a habit out of it.
Good to know thanks! The 5 eggs are perfect 😊

The commercial egg laying hybrids are more prone to this than the regular dual purpose or decorative birds, especially of you feed them a rich diet.
Our red sexlinks/hybrids have laid two eggs at least 4 times since we got them in August. Our girls all pasture/free range as well as free choice feed, scratch grains & treats sometimes and seasonal vegetables and fruits often. It is those hybrids that plow through the food and eat the most in the shortest amount of time. They are eating machines. :lau

Our red sexlinks/hybrids have laid two eggs at least 4 times since we got them in August. Our girls all pasture/free range as well as free choice feed, scratch grains & treats sometimes and seasonal vegetables and fruits often. It is those hybrids that plow through the food and eat the most in the shortest amount of time. They are eating machines. :lau
Mine are greedy and get warm Oates at bed time which they love, they shout at me if I’m running late with their Oates 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom