Too many grapes?

nsbchickens

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Is there a such thing as giving chickens too many grapes? It's reaching almost 99 degrees here in Florida and my girls absolutely love grapes.

Too many grapes or raisins in dogs can cause kidney failure. Not sure about chickens. But the moderation thing sounds good.

I have a lady that drops boxes of cull fruit and veggies off a couple times a week. We at first went crazy, dumping in piles of grapes, cantelope, lettuce, strawberry, cukes and whatever else. Everybody was fine except Hennie, a very hungry hen. She eats and eats and eats, all day long. When all this treat stuff went in, I assume she stopped eating mash and had a lack of calcium because she layed 2 eggs that had no shell. or a very thin liquid shell..... I have backed off the treats ever since. And before I give treats I put a pie plate of layers mash down for a few min first. They get excited when it is in a pie plate for some reason.

I had a chicken drop dead earlier this year from too many treats (that is what the report said) so I am very careful now with the amount of treats I give. They get them once a day but not a lot at one time, just enough to be a treat. Mine love grapes too, a lot, and could eat them by the bucket full I am sure
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom