Too many grapes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nsbchickens, Jun 21, 2009.

  1. nsbchickens

    nsbchickens Chirping

    Jun 12, 2009
    Is there a such thing as giving chickens too many grapes? It's reaching almost 99 degrees here in Florida and my girls absolutely love grapes.
  2. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All things in moderation.

    What happens to you when YOU eat too many grapes?!
  3. Kansaseq

    Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

    Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Too many grapes or raisins in dogs can cause kidney failure. Not sure about chickens. But the moderation thing sounds good.
  4. zowieyellowflame

    zowieyellowflame Songster

    Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I have a lady that drops boxes of cull fruit and veggies off a couple times a week. We at first went crazy, dumping in piles of grapes, cantelope, lettuce, strawberry, cukes and whatever else. Everybody was fine except Hennie, a very hungry hen. She eats and eats and eats, all day long. When all this treat stuff went in, I assume she stopped eating mash and had a lack of calcium because she layed 2 eggs that had no shell. or a very thin liquid shell..... I have backed off the treats ever since. And before I give treats I put a pie plate of layers mash down for a few min first. They get excited when it is in a pie plate for some reason.
  5. ZooMummzy

    ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

    Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I had a chicken drop dead earlier this year from too many treats (that is what the report said) so I am very careful now with the amount of treats I give. They get them once a day but not a lot at one time, just enough to be a treat. Mine love grapes too, a lot, and could eat them by the bucket full I am sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: