Too many males

Tenesexx

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
England
I hatched 10 quail eggs 4 weeks ago I'm now discovering that 4 are male probably even more and I wont have enough females for each is it going to stir fights and deaths if theres less females than need for would 4 males and 10 females be a bad mix do I really need 16 females probably more?

Or you have to remove the roosters, which are too many.
You always have to calculate 50%+ for males, when you are breeding.

My first breed were 20 eggs, 15 hatched and I had 10 males 😵

Or you have to remove the roosters, which are too many.
You always have to calculate 50%+ for males, when you are breeding.

My first breed were 20 eggs, 15 hatched and I had 10 males 😵
So each male HAS to have 4 females so I'll have to have in the cage 4 males and 16 females???

So each male HAS to have 4 females so I'll have to have in the cage 4 males and 16 females???
If so can I just keep some of the extra males like 1 or 2 of them together in a separate pen I have a house with canaries and I heard you can keep them together with the canaries

If you plan on keeping all the males yes. You can separate then spares into a cage away from the others.

Considering you are wanting roosters I assume you are wanting to hatch more quail?
If that's your plan you will run out of room for extra males quickly. Personally I would try and sell the extras or butcher.
That's the thing with hatches will at some point be extra males

If you want to keep them all together, you need more females. The 4 to 1 ratio is a suggestion (and the better ratio) but, in the wild, quail are monogamous so they can be kept 1:1 but each set would need their own cage. I currently have 15 quail that I hatched out 7 weeks ago. I have 4 males and 11 females (talk about lucky with that hatch rate, huh?). They are all kept together in an 18sqft ground enclosure with natural hides so the girls can get some space. My ratio works out to approximately 3 females for each male and, so far, I have had no issues. The males aren't fighting (and all 4 have reached sexual maturity) and even dust bathe together and all of the quail have been seen taking advantage of the natural hides.

If you plan on keeping all the males yes. You can separate then spares into a cage away from the others.

Considering you are wanting roosters I assume you are wanting to hatch more quail?
If that's your plan you will run out of room for extra males quickly. Personally I would try and sell the extras or butcher.
That's the thing with hatches will at some point be extra males
I'm planning to breed yes but take eggs in and raise them my self and sell them and eggs for food also selling fertile eggs....

If you want to keep them all together, you need more females. The 4 to 1 ratio is a suggestion (and the better ratio) but, in the wild, quail are monogamous so they can be kept 1:1 but each set would need their own cage. I currently have 15 quail that I hatched out 7 weeks ago. I have 4 males and 11 females (talk about lucky with that hatch rate, huh?). They are all kept together in an 18sqft ground enclosure with natural hides so the girls can get some space. My ratio works out to approximately 3 females for each male and, so far, I have had no issues. The males aren't fighting (and all 4 have reached sexual maturity) and even dust bathe together and all of the quail have been seen taking advantage of the natural hides.

My cage is currently 4 square meters approximately it's really big could 25 fit in there and is it ol with 5 males and the 20 females like that it's on higher ground so even if it's too small when they grow fukk size i can put half at the bottom?

My cage is currently 4 square meters approximately it's really big could 25 fit in there and is it ol with 5 males and the 20 females like that it's on higher ground so even if it's too small when they grow fukk size i can put half at the bottom?

Are you saying that your cage is 4 meters by 4 meters (so 16 square meters) or that it's just 4 square meters? If it's the first, that's plenty of room for 25 birds but if it's just 4 square meters, you really shouldn't have more than 12 in there.

If my math is correct whether its 4 meters square 13 ft x 13ft. Or 4 square meters 3ft x 12 ft. You should have ample room for 25 birds.

Back
Top Bottom