Too many roosters - help!

Dadsarmy

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Hello, we inherited two hens, a tiny chick and a rooster when we bought our house and they've been a joy. But being a novice chicken-owner I walked into all the traps. I was so thrilled with my little flock that when someone advertised chicks I bought three more (thinking all three were hens). I've now discovered that the little chick we already had is growing into a very fine rooster and one of the three new chicks is also a rooster. So now I have three roosters. I'm worried that very soon we will have chicks galore and I don't want that. So what to do? I can't give away my two extra roosters as no one seems to want them. My chickens are all free range but maybe I could set up a separate enclosed run for the two extra roosters until they die of old age but that seems a bit silly, and wouldn't they just fight? Do I find somewhere to have them put down humanely? Would really appreciate your advice.

You can have more than one rooster, as long as they get along. I currently have two roosters that get along great and one bantam cockerel that I'll keep if he gets along with the big boys once hormones kick in. You only have to worry about chicks if you let your hens hatch. If they go broody, just take their eggs away or break them and you'll never have any more chicks. The only thing you have to worry about with more roosters is overbreeding of the hens, so you just have to make sure you have enough hens for them or get saddles for the girls.

Or, you could indeed do a 'bachelor' coop and run for the roosters. Lots of people do; as long as you keep them out of sight of the hens there will be no fighting at all.

And finally, lots of people would take them to eat them if you put them on craigslist for that purpose. Or, if it's something you're okay with (and I don't do it so I totally get it if you're not) you could eat them yourself. I've heard young roosters are delicious.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Pyxis, you've given me some hope! Some options to mull over here.

I have always had at least two roosters in my flock. At one time, there were sixteen roosters..... Only had one truly mean rooster which also caused the death of three pullets through forced mating and being too rough.

Anyway, two roosters is perfect, because that gives you a dominant roo and a "second lieutenant" or "spare" if something happens to one or the other.

Thanks gryeyes, that makes me feel a lot better. Our second rooster is a very handsome Brahma and a real character so I'd be a little sad to part with him. He's the son of no. 1 rooster and we've had him since he was a chick. Hopefully they can all get along and I can keep all three roosters. The third is a barnevelder but there doesn't seem to be any friction between him and the other rooster ...yet.

I had 3 roosters out of my batch of chicks last year and they were so bad I had to get rid of them. I already have one big rooster, but the fighting was not the problem with them. They would gang up on my hens when the big rooster wasn't around and one in particular would try to attack me every time I went outside. I put them on Craig's list and a very nice man came and picked them up. I'm pretty sure he was selling them to be eaten, but it's the circle of life I guess! lol! I now have my big rooster still and a young rooster that I hatched a few months ago. He doesn't seem to be a problem so far so I'm thinking of keeping him.

I have 3 extra roosters my fourth rooster is dominant and doesn't get along with the others. He's a game cock and doesn't care for the competition from the others. So we will be culling 3 roosters soon. These roosters don't contribute anything back except their meat.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've advertised my young roosters on GumTrees/Craigslist so here goes. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom