Too many roosters?

The general ratio of hens to roosters is 10:1,
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
I am aware of that. The rooster to hen ratio is important when you have too many roosters for your hens, though. Even though roosters can pick a favorite hen (or multiple favorite hens) and overbreed them, the chances are he is less likely to overbreed when he has more hens to watch over.

Multiple males usually create an environment of competition, bringing out the worst of all their behaviors. Fighting and over mating is not pleasant for the flock or the keeper.

What is your goal in having males?
The only real reason(everything else is just preference) is to hatch eggs from your flock....
...and one male is enough for that. If you hatch from your flock you're going to need a plan to get rid of the ~50% males that come of that endeavor.
Well my goal is really good pertection if we let them out sometimes in the future, and keeping the hens in track cause we used to have some bullying and when we move next year I'm hoping to hatch some chicks😉
I just feel like I don't know between the maran and Americana which one to get rid of?

Well my goal is really good pertection if we let them out sometimes in the future, and keeping the hens in track cause we used to have some bullying and when we move next year I'm hoping to hatch some chicks😉
I just feel like I don't know between the maran and Americana which one to get rid of?
People would most likely want the Easter Egger rooster because of the popular demand of that breed, but you need to decide depending on how each rooster treats the hens and humans.

Multiple males usually create an environment of competition, bringing out the worst of all their behaviors. Fighting and over mating is not pleasant for the flock or the keeper.

What is your goal in having males?
The only real reason(everything else is just preference) is to hatch eggs from your flock....
...and one male is enough for that. If you hatch from your flock you're going to need a plan to get rid of the ~50% males that come of that endeavor.
Yes I see that!
Cause one rooster chases a hen then there all trying to chase then hen down and hold her down and sometimes two roosters try mating her!!!
And it's alot

People would most likely want the Easter Egger rooster because of the popular demand of that breed, but you need to decide depending on how each rooster treats the hens and humans.
So for me, the Maran let's me hold him, but, the americana is so so pretty but doesn't trust me to let me hold him, it's very hard

With only twenty-four hens, three roosters would be too many for them. The general ratio of hens to roosters is 10:1, meaning you would need two roosters. But, it is even better if you are able to get rid of two of your roosters and keep one. It will keep unnecessary stress off of both your hens and your rooster.
I agree.

The more roosters you have, the more trouble you have. Not all roosters are good roosters, a lot of them are rotten.

The way to get a good rooster is not keep a rotten one. Do not be surprised if all of these are rotten, it happens.

IMO if you can’t cull roosters, and some people can’t. You should have a hen only flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom