Too many roosters?

Ella_michele08

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
Hey everyone, so I have three roosters since we knew we had two then another turned out to be a rooster also. So now we have three roosters and 24 hens.
Do we have too many roosters?
I think since 13 are younger like 18 weeks like the roosters but the roos seem to be overmating the 11 older hens.
Will it get better as my other hens grow older?
Idk

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on several factors: Age, Breed, Personality, Space, Diet all play a role in it
Well the one I want to give away is a buff orpington who is the head rooster and thinks he's incharge snd he's 18 weeks right now, then I have a maran who likes to mate but isn't the tip, but he's 18weeks too and I have a easter egger who is the same age but always get chased away by the buff orpington or the maran

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on several factors: Age, Breed, Personality, Space, Diet all play a role in it
But they have a big run and all fit in the coop and they have flock maker for feed with whole oats and I give them lots of nutritious snack like apple peices and watermelon and greens and strawberries......

Multiple males usually create an environment of competition, bringing out the worst of all their behaviors. Fighting and over mating is not pleasant for the flock or the keeper.

What is your goal in having males?
The only real reason(everything else is just preference) is to hatch eggs from your flock....
...and one male is enough for that. If you hatch from your flock you're going to need a plan to get rid of the ~50% males that come of that endeavor.

With only twenty-four hens, three roosters would be too many for them. The general ratio of hens to roosters is 10:1, meaning you would need two roosters. But, it is even better if you are able to get rid of two of your roosters and keep one. It will keep unnecessary stress off of both your hens and your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom