1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too many treats? - chicks not eating food.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GrFChickens, Apr 21, 2016.

1. GrFChickens

GrFChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    Good morning!

I'm getting a little concerned for our 2 Buff Orpington chicks. They are 1 month today. I think they have me trained! - we ferment our feed, and they used to gobble it down the first thing after I put it in their brooder. Now, they don't even touch it and it takes them a long time to finish. I think I've been too heavy handed with treats. Because I didn't see them eating it, I panicked and gave them more worms. Usually they get about two worms each in the afternoon if I don't see them eating (we have a worm bin) or some little bits of salmon or sardines. I also give them some chunks of grass to scratch in their dust bin each day but I figure this wouldn't affect their appetite too much.

Any tips to handle this?

How long is safe to wait? - I don't want to starve them!

Thanks so much!!

2. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Maybe you should give them a little less treats, maybe one or two a day. If you give them too many treats it will affect their appetite and also might affect their health.

3. GrFChickens

GrFChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    For anyone: How long did it take before your chicks resumed eating their regular feed? Thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by