Too mix or not to mix, that is the question?

joer77

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Dayton Ohio
Am getting ready to start a small flock of hens.(about 12) I am torn about get one breed or mix it up. so I thought I ask what you think?

FLOCK A: Black Copper Marans

FLOCK B; 3 Black Cooper Marans, 3 Barred Rocks, 3 New Hampshire Reds, and 3 Columbian Wyandottes

FLOCK C; 3 Black Cooper marans, 3 Barnevelders, 3 Blue Laces Wyandottes, and 3 Blue Orpingtons

FLOCK D: You choose!

Thanks, City chicken JOE

MIX IT UP! If you're new at chicken keeping it's fun to try different breeds, and a mixed flock is more likely to moult at different times, s some hens should be producing eggs more months of the year. Have fun! Mary

MIX IT UP! If you're new at chicken keeping it's fun to try different breeds, and a mixed flock is more likely to moult at different times, s some hens should be producing eggs more months of the year. Have fun! Mary

Thanks Mary, which flock do you thing would be the prettiest one and produtive? What kind of flock do you have? also what your favorite breed? city chicken joe

if you are looking for pretty and productive i'd say based off of expirence flock B would be a good choice. but like folly's place said mix it up. maybe pick the top six breeds you like out of the seven you mentioned and get two of each of those

I have a variety, in part because I like various egg colors also. Speckled Sussex are favorites; all the breeds you mentioned have been here , and Easter Eggers. This year I got some Americanas and Chanteclers, still juveniles. Bantams, cute funny birds, Belgian d'Uccles are great and lay lots of small eggs. Enjoy! Mary

Back
Top Bottom