Too much calcium???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by echabe, Nov 29, 2011.

1. echabe

echabe New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    I'm a bit confused. I just got home from the feed store, where I have been buying layer pellets for my three female ducks who are laying eggs.They have been laying since early October. The owner of the store made me feel like an idiot for even wanting to buy layer pellets for my girls. She strongly and rudely discouraged me from buying layer pellets saying that ducks easily get too much calcium and suffer from calcium deposits. She put a bag of grower mash on the counter and said that's what I should be feeding them, and when I said they were laying eggs, she said that they dont need the extra calcium to support their laying. This goes against everything I've read up on. So is there truth to what she said at all?

2. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    If they are finished growing and they are laying then they should be fed the layer. You're the consumer, don't let her control what you spend your money on.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    You are right and the person at the feed store told you the wrong thing. Laying ducks need layer feed. Laying used a lot of calcium and if it doesn't come from the feed it comes from their bones. They also need shell grit on top of the layer feed.

Did you buy the grower feed or the layer feed?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mercy.

You are right - laying ducks need calcium.

Reminds me of the time a feed store clerk told me in no uncertain terms, voice of authority, etc. etc. that there was no way my ducklings needed grit!!!! (She knew nothing of my setup, whether they were outdoors or not). She sounded so expert, so sure of herself, and gave me such a stink eye!

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:You know it, Agregg...I'd have very rudely told her it's none of her ---- business what I spend my money on, it's her business to take it. My money, my ducks, my way. Polite inquiries and suggestions are always welcome, but pushy salespeople have no place with me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by