Too much chick starter!

Quote:
I see more chickens in my future! I *really* like the few I have already. But for now, the coop is very small, plus I am easing the neighbors into the idea that chickens belong in the city. Once they see that they are no problem, I can start adding to my flock
tongue.png

I was told by my feedstore to keep the chicks on starter until they are 18 weeks -
I have 9 chicks that are 13 weeks and have started on my 3rd 50# bag.....

.not sure how that works out per your number of chicks but am thinkin you will
buy more before they are 18 weeks old......

Hope this helps.....enjoy your chicks - - - they grow SOOOOOOO fast!
hmm.png

OK,....so there's Start feed for when they chicks? Until what age is that?

Then there's Grow feed after they've grown out of the chick stage...? Is this the stage where I add oyster shell, or do I wait until they're laying? And how much oyster shell do they get? Is it just a supplement,...like
in a different feeder?

Then what's after Grow feed?

Thanks!

Quote:
I see more chickens in my future! I *really* like the few I have already. But for now, the coop is very small, plus I am easing the neighbors into the idea that chickens belong in the city. Once they see that they are no problem, I can start adding to my flock
tongue.png

Oh, you're BAD, MotherJean!
tongue.png

Last edited:
I've read (wish I could remember where) you shouldn't use medicated feed past 10 weeks as it has a thiamine inhibitor in it. If its non medicated then it may be OK.

DerbyChook

I think you'll be surprised how quickly your girls will go through it once they're a little large. Now that mine are 5-6 weeks I've noticed I'm going through it a lot faster than the first couple of weeks.

Quote:
I have noticed this as well. All the stores around here sell a "starter/grower" and a "layers". ON the bags it states that the "starter/grower" is for weeks 1-6 and the layer starts at either 18 or 22 weeks. It also says I should use a "grower/finisher" from 6 to 18 weeks. The problem is, no stores sell the "grower/finisher". So my plan is just to use the starter unlit around 17/18 weeks.

Quote:
acid_chipmunk

You might want to check out Albright's. They sell a grower (it's a Mash not crumbles or pellets). It's also way cheaper than big-brand feed.

I buy my scratch and goat feed at Albright's, but I don't like their mashes that they have. I bought their broiler mash for my Cornish X's and Pekins and am not very happy with it. Yes it is making them grow, but it makes the ducks cough since it is basically powder. I'll stick to buying Flock Raiser from Calico Creek.

Feed it to them until it is gone. It won't hurt them. I up the protein anyway in the summer. They don't eat as much when it is hot, so what they eat needs to be packed with protein so they get enough. Especially for layers.

UGCM

Back
Top Bottom