Too Much or Not Enough - A Feed Query

Girl43

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hi. I have 15 chickens that free range (altho the pickings are pretty scare going into winter here). I also feed four penned heritage turkeys. I am going through a 25kg bag of lay pellets per week. Is this enough, not enough, too much. They are always hungry or so it seems and there is never any food in their feeders when I go out mid day or in the evening. Would a natural wormer be a good thing? Thanks.

I provide feed all the time. My chickens are either eating or resting. I figure that they should have feed all the time, so that they can eat when they need it. Unlike humans, chickens don't overeat.

Chris

That's less than 1/4 lb per bird per day.

I'd say they need more

I think this is a conversion error. 25kg bag is 55 lbs per week. In winter dual purpose birds eat up to 1/3 pound and no idea what turkeys eat, perhaps double that. 55/((4(2)+15)/7)= 0.34lbs. Looks to be about right if not a tad much feed. I like to see 1/4 pound per bird per day in summer.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. We have 7 roosters, 23 hens, 9 ducks( 5 muscovies, 2 pekins, and 2 crested) and 2, 2 year old meat turkeys. We seem to go through a 50 lb bag every 2 days at $16.00 a piece. I do free range birds when home and feed scraps. We do use crumbles. I was not sure they could eat pellets.
Any ideas, cheaper ways of feeding. The day old bread store does sell bags of bread for a dollar, but I am not sure of the nutrition.
The shells of some of our eggs do appear to crack too easily, and I have started oyster shell.

I am not sure how long I can afford this price. I want to breed my marans and barnvelders next year, but that is only 7 birds.Should I just re-home some of the others? way too many roosters.

I have the same problem. We have 7 roosters, 23 hens, 9 ducks( 5 muscovies, 2 pekins, and 2 crested) and 2, 2 year old meat turkeys. We seem to go through a 50 lb bag every 2 days at $16.00 a piece...
...I am not sure how long I can afford this price. I want to breed my marans and barnvelders next year, but that is only 7 birds.Should I just re-home some of the others? way too many roosters.
You must be selling eggs with that many egg layers, doesn't that compensate for the feed? If not then you should investigate which are poor layers or older birds and eat them, roosters too. Think of all the pot pie, gumbo and chicken stew you could be feasting on.

If your not selling eggs then cull down to your breeders you want to hold over winter for spring chicks.

Last edited:
I think this is a conversion error. 25kg bag is 55 lbs per week. In winter dual purpose birds eat up to 1/3 pound and no idea what turkeys eat, perhaps double that. 55/((4(2)+15)/7)= 0.34lbs. Looks to be about right if not a tad much feed. I like to see 1/4 pound per bird per day in summer.
You're correct
I think in POUNDS and misread the "KG"

Back
Top Bottom