Too Much Watermelon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I read that watermelon rinds are good for chickens to have access to on hot days, so when it was hot here recently I put out a rind every day for my two hens to peck at. There was some watermelon pulp left on the rinds. Do you think this could have been too high in sugar, making my chickens overly fat?

How much watermelon is too much, in your opinion?

Clare

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    My Martha hen definitely ate too much yesterday - I put down a generous portion for the two of them but one wasn't interested, so Martha ate the lot. She's had runny poop all day today, but no other problems.

I give my girls fruit all summer long and they definitely aren't fat. What makes you worry that yours might be? [​IMG]

3. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much watermelon! I can't stop eating it.....

I wouldn't worry about fruit sugars making your chickens fat, watermelon is often suggested as a diet food because it is primarily water. Do you feel your chickens are too fat? If so, what else are they eating?

4. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I posted a picture of my chickens under the heading "Are My Chickens Too Fat" just a little while ago. If you wouldn't mind checking it out and seeing what you think? They get 18% pellets and some greens.

I gave them scratch in the winter but stopped this spring when I thought they were getting too fat.

I give them an occasional blueberry, or strawberry, but I don't think I will anymore. I did scramble an egg for them this morning, but I don't do that often.

5. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    It'll give them runny poo but they love it.

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Yesterday i bought a very large melon. i ate what i could, put some in storage containers and fed the rest to my flock. I bet what was left over was about 12 pounds. they pecked it clean. I have noticed no side effects, except a little runny poo this morning.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    They look fine, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I would worry alot more about if they are too hot (that can kill them in a day) then I would about if they are too fat. You're doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by