too old to castrate?

Quote:
It's possible , but not necessarily going to be a problem . Pullets usually grow out of it .

Right. Also, it is not uncommon at all for new layers to lay odd eggs. You may see a soft shell or very small yolkless egg, or a number of other things, just as they may lay in odd places for a while. Give them a month or two to get everything organized, and they will likely lay you a good looking egg most every day.

If you don;t want your eggs fertilized why are you keeping the roo?????????? I am asking this because YOU don;t need a rooster to have eggs and it would seem that the Roo is worrying you by mating with the hens and creating viable fertalized eggs? Personally I cannot see any reason for capronizing - if the boy is surplus - then FIND HIM A GOOD HOME!!!!!! Where he will be needed to breed if you don;t want to kill or eat him.

I just had to give away 4 beautiful roos - I just know I did the right thing for them.

If you don;t want chicks make sure you lift any eggs regularly so they are NOT sat on by a broody hen. The little bullseye in an egg doesn;t affect its tast or eating value.
You just need to lift them and use them - if they are not in a brooder or under a hen they WILL NOT TURN INTO CHICKS!!!!!
big_smile.png

Please don;t hurt your Boy - leave him in tact and if you don;t want his breeding ability give him to someone who does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oesdog

I think it's ALWAYS a good idea to first crack ANY egg into a little separate dish before adding it to the pan or mixing bowl. That way if you find anything you don't like in the egg you aren't ruining the whole meal. Even with sterile eggs, there's a chance of finding something you'd rather not eat, or at least having bits of eggshell fall in.

I would not attempt to neuter a full-grown rooster, their organs are the size of large pecans. But he's not too old to butcher and cook slowly with lots of moisture in low heat.

Back
Top Bottom