Too risky to give chicks to 1.5 week broody hen?

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
I will have several chicks hatch this week in my classroom. Originally I thought they'd be brooder chicks, but I much prefer hens raising their own. Several days ago four of our hens went broody, and I have been letting them set on fake eggs. All four have been historically broody, but I haven't let them hatch yet. My question - is it too risky to try giving 3ish day old chicks to one (at night, in our separate "maternity coop") to see if they accept each other? I know 1.5 weeks isn't ideal, but I have heard of it working. We would choose the best hen...one is SUPER mean when broody, so she probably wouldn't be the best. One is broody every year, but is 6 years old. Too old? The other two are 2 years old and sweet as can be. Thoughts?

What breeds are the broodies?

All you can do is try. I don't think 6 years old is to old. If she has raised chicks before she would be my choice.

Last edited:
What breeds are the broodies?

All you can do is try. I don't thing 6 years old is to old. If she has raised chicks before she would be my choice.
Thank you for your reply! She hasn't ever raised chicks, but has been broody every year. She is a buff orpington mix, two are blue copper marans (mean mom and sweet daughter), and the other is an olive egger mix. All are farm-hatched birds.

Last edited:
Update: She took them! We used the 6 yr old broody who has never been a mother and she had all 9 that hatched in my classroom incubator nestled in under her this morning. The chicks were 2-3 days old. 💗

Attachments

• 20230513_095121.jpg
    20230513_095121.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom