Too scared of me to lay?

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
My Brahma hens came here at 2 years old. On the first day they each layed an egg. After that it took them almost 6 months, and then some of them started laying occasionally. Then they stopped again, except for one, Priscilla. Priscilla had been sick and stayed in the house for 2 weeks. She is not afraid of me, but is at the bottom of the pecking order.
Now, I already had chickens here, and it was obvious the new Brahmas were stressed out by the move. My set up was not ideal, and I think they were not comfortable enough to lay. This past spring all the chickens moved into a brand new spacious coop. They all became one flock and the Brahmas look very happy. They are still afraid of being picked up by me. Every time I pick one up to check their feet or for lice, they all run from me for weeks to come, excpet one, Priscilla.
They did not lay all summer (it was a very hot summer).
Since the fall, there have been a few (can be counted on one hand) eggs from a Brahma, but it stopped again. They are molting now.
My question is, is it possible that they are too afraid of/stressed by me to lay?
I have checked for lice, mites and worms (home fecal), and they all seem healthy.
They eat fermented layer feed. They all get enough to eat.
What’s going on?
They were obviously laying before they got here.
Thanks for any help.

I can't imagine after all this time that they're too scared or stressed to lay, unless really noticeable things keep changing around the set up. How sure are you that they're 2 years old, and not older? Brahmas aren't known for being great layers but 2 year old birds should still be laying pretty regularly.
Thanks for the reply.
I can’t really imagine that it would be fear or stress either, because they approach me when I have food, and clean the spoon off while I am holding it.
No, things in the coop set up don’t change all the time.

The age..l I just have the seller’s word. It’s just that they all laid that first egg, so to me that is proof they were laying at the time that I bought them.

Can only guess that maybe they're older than the seller said, and older birds from my experience tend to have shorter laying cycles, starting molt earlier and then not resuming laying until later on after days start lengthening again. My 5 year olds that still lay stop laying/start molt around July or August, and don't start laying again until maybe... March or April.

Back
Top Bottom