Too small, not enough, what would you use?

I used this type with the long side up, worked like a charm. I screwed the roost onto the outer edge of the bracket to maximize space from wall. You just need to be sure you give them enough space from the wall and that the bracket can support the combined weight of roost and chickens. Mine is used by a couple of Sebrights, so that part was pretty easy for me.

View attachment 2858903

Just a word of caution on the brackets - I use them in my small integration coop but make sure all the extra screw holes are covered, I had a hen get her nail stuck in one & tear it off. We ended up covering the extra holes from the wall out to the 2x4 with a piece of furring strip because they insist on roosting on that part too.

The supports DH made are probably over-engineered, but we do that:

0917211607.jpg

1007211047d.jpg

Just a word of caution on the brackets - I use them in my small integration coop but make sure all the extra screw holes are covered, I had a hen get her nail stuck in one & tear it off. We ended up covering the extra holes from the wall out to the 2x4 with a piece of furring strip because they insist on roosting on that part too.
Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that, excellent advice!

Thanks for all the advice! I had a “duh” moment reading them today, grabbed some of the “spare” joist hangers we bought, and went out and attached a couple 2x6s! Took me and my 6 year old about an hour to get it done (she helped carry the wood in and out)!

Attachments

• A0BA6C7B-1C46-47F9-8353-BBFDF77311E7.jpeg
    A0BA6C7B-1C46-47F9-8353-BBFDF77311E7.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3420D583-D157-4F7E-B829-255E68E2A8A8.jpeg
    3420D583-D157-4F7E-B829-255E68E2A8A8.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1221AEEB-72A5-4AE5-8F71-9CA9AB95A686.jpeg
    1221AEEB-72A5-4AE5-8F71-9CA9AB95A686.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for all the advice! I had a “duh” moment reading them today, grabbed some of the “spare” joist hangers we bought, and went out and attached a couple 2x6s! Took me and my 6 year old about an hour to get it done (she helped carry the wood in and out)!
Yes, I know I will regret hanging them over the nest box, I may end up putting a hanger to the right of it and cutting that board shorter, but for now (we have a possibility of snow nest week), it'll work!

Yes, I know I will regret hanging them over the nest box, I may end up putting a hanger to the right of it and cutting that board shorter, but for now (we have a possibility of snow nest week), it'll work!
You may have splattage on the wall from the higher roost. It's a little close to the wall.

They refuse to use it, I may just take it down...for now, they're all prefering the other end of the building entirely.
Put near where they are laying, maybe mount it lower, and add a couple fake eggs.
Sometimes the perches on those are a bit unstable/small,
some have added a length of 2x4 to them for more footing.

Back
Top Bottom