too soon for treats?

You should really get a thermometer, they're not that expensive and they can tell you a lot about what's going on.
As a temporary measure, a human oral thermometer could work. Just put the tip in the area you want to measure and hit the button. They can read air temperature when it's fairly warm.

Think about what is natural. If the chicks were with mama they would be running in the yard pecking at the grass, finding bugs and trying to eat lots of things. I always give my babies grass and dried meal worms at minimum. If I find any I give them real worms and other bugs as well.
:frow

Are these partridge? Sorry, my tablet takes terrible pics. One looks almost blue, the other yellowView attachment 1684320

My stock tank brooder. I don' have a thermometer, I adjust the light if they get cold. So far they have just laid in a ring around the light
Are you having problems with pasty butt?
It is a good idea to have a thermometer, but chick behavior is a really good gauge.
If they are avoiding the light, staying out from under it, then it's too hot. If they are all huddled under the light it's too cold. Chicks should be active between the light and their food/water. Then sleeping like they are dead (lol)
Take some time and see if they are avoiding any areas of your brooder, that will tell you where your hot spot are.

Cute Chicks! I'm no breed expert, so couldn't tell you if those are partridge or not. What breed are they supposed to be?

I provided chick grit at three weeks and greens like cabbage leaves in a peck n play ball and dried mealworms as these teach main sources of food when foraging to look for ( greens and bugs) and better source of nutrition as treats go. Also recommended timeline by poultry experts. Not helpful sooner. First couple weeks have to teach main source of food is starter crumble for proper nutrition. Dried mealworms good source of protein. I left other treats till older as not likely to digest at this age well and you want to teach the birds what their main sources of food are not let them binge on kitchen scraps or treats. All treats should be less than 10% of diet to avoid compromising nutritional needs. Do not assume outside yard or property provides enough of the right type of grit as it often does not. This leads to crop problems. Switch to poultry grit at 8 weeks of age. Need larger size to help digest food. :)

Back
Top Bottom