Too stressed from the cold to lay on time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bantam Leghorn was very unhappy today with the temps hovering in mid 30's.
    She was screeching in her coop on and off (mostly on) for much of the late afternoon.
    When I caved and put in her in the garage with a regular light bulb to provide a little warmth, she laid her egg, later in the day than usual.
    Would the stress of the cold keep her from relaxing and laying? I know she was more comfortable because she became quiet and stopped "complaining" (actually it's a loud screeching) as soon as I brought her in. The egg was laid about 20-30 min. later.
    Has me worried she is not tough enough for MI winters, and I don't want her to be miserable. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance...

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I doubt very much if temperatures in the 30's would stress her enough to effect laying. She may just have been having a bad time getting the egg down the oviduct or was uncomfortable where she was. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by