Too stupid to live

Salt and timbers

Chirping
May 25, 2023
Hi friends,

I know that guinea fowl are not the sharpest tools in the shed and that's totally fine, I didn't expect rocket scientists. But of my 10 six week old guineas, 4 seem very dim and one seems too stupid to have any hope of survival. Is this normal? Are some simply too thick to make it?

I have been periodically adding higher perches to their shed as they get bigger and I had one tonight that couldn't seem to understand where it's 9 friends had gone, despite the fact that they we're calling to it. It ended up outside, on the shed roof. I waited patiently for it to jump down and closed the shed up with (idiot) keet number 10 on the floor. Should I just cull this little idiot, or hope that it catches on in time.

Thanks!

Hi friends,

I know that guinea fowl are not the sharpest tools in the shed and that's totally fine, I didn't expect rocket scientists. But of my 10 six week old guineas, 4 seem very dim and one seems too stupid to have any hope of survival. Is this normal? Are some simply too thick to make it?

I have been periodically adding higher perches to their shed as they get bigger and I had one tonight that couldn't seem to understand where it's 9 friends had gone, despite the fact that they we're calling to it. It ended up outside, on the shed roof. I waited patiently for it to jump down and closed the shed up with (idiot) keet number 10 on the floor. Should I just cull this little idiot, or hope that it catches on in time.

Thanks!
Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. I wouldn't cull a keet just because it didn't do what I thought it should do.

I don't find that guinea fowl are any stupider than any other poultry. In fact, they're a lot more predator savvy than my chickens (the bobcat I'm trying to deal with is 0 to 4 on the eating guineas vs eating chickens scorecard).

I do have a couple that are pretty much blind in dim light. If I didn't have motion controlled lights in my coop and run they'd never find their way in.

I have two males that have a habit of sparring and chasing each other, and from time to time one ends up getting chased onto the roof of the coop or run. The usual remedy is to wait until the others are bedded down, push the roof sitter off with a broom, and he walks inside on his own.

I don't find that guinea fowl are any stupider than any other poultry. In fact, they're a lot more predator savvy than my chickens (the bobcat I'm trying to deal with is 0 to 4 on the eating guineas vs eating chickens scorecard).

I do have a couple that are pretty much blind in dim light. If I didn't have motion controlled lights in my coop and run they'd never find their way in.

I would believe this. I used to get a bit frustrated trying to shoo my ducks in circles into their crate, but I realized it helps considerably if I just shine a light at the open crate door and give a gentle nudge. The keet may not be able to see where she's going.

I have two males that have a habit of sparring and chasing each other, and from time to time one ends up getting chased onto the roof of the coop or run. The usual remedy is to wait until the others are bedded down, push the roof sitter off with a broom, and he walks inside on his own.
Great to hear that I'm not the only one who's had this experience. Thanks for sharing and good advice with the motion light.

Hi friends,

Thanks!
They are quite dumb... I have watched them pace a 10 foot line of fence that had no ends (was putting it up) long enough to wear a track in the ground. Don't get me wrong, I adore them, but they will watch another get run over and stand there, in the road waiting for the next car..

Back
Top Bottom